• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did I fry my mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aisu

So last night I was testing my loop and water leaked all over the place, me being smart tried to start the computer and the power supply would start then reset and the computer would act like it was reseting all the time. So today I went and bought a new case, wiped down all the stuff that was wet with rubbing alcohol and installed all of the stuff in the new case.

I have a 939 DFI expert with SLI, two 6600gts, a harddrive and an emermax psu.

The diagnostic LEDs tell me that the CPU, DRAM, and VGA are detected but there is no post at all when I try to start the computer. When I try to start the computer nothing shows up on my monitor.

I have tried using a different monitor and there still is nothing that shows. I have tried clearing the CMOS and that has not done anything. Is my mobo fried?

It does sound like your motherboard is dead. Next time, when testing your loop, be sure to do it either outside of the ]case or without any critical components installed. However, if you do manage to leak on components immediately disconnect any power sources. It's not the water that causes damage (generally), it's the electricity shorting through the water.

Could be you fried it, or it could be you fried something else.

I am assuming you tried resetting your CMOS already. If not, do it.

Try unplugging all devices you don't need for just getting into the BIOS. This means no Hard Drives, no CD/DVD Drives, nothing. All you really need is the processor, with it's fan, your RAM, a Video Card, PSU, a keyboard, and a monitor. Everything else should be unplugged.

Try 1 stick of RAM at a time, if that doesn't work, use another stick instead.

If that still doesn't work, try 1 video card, then swap it out for the other.

Still doesn't work ? Try another PSU if you have one on-hand.

Even if it is fried, at least it is an older 939 board, which you can replace with a comparable board for only $50 or so.

Good Luck !

yup i tried reseting the cmos and no luck. However the great thing about the DFI motherboard that I have is that it shows me which components are detected. So the CPU/vid card and ram are deteced which is great. I think I fried this baby.

Usually i would test the loop outside the system but i got lazy. I think i'm going back to air

"Detected" and "Working 100%" are 2 different things. All you need is a single bad memory register to corrupt the data sent through it, and make the machine not boot. All the onboard diagnostic does is throw voltage through it and make sure the chip responded.

Taking all the troubleshooting steps couldn't hurt anything.

i think i had a similar problem when i installed my new cpu in my dfi expert.. all 4 lights would lite up. then one would drop.. then one more.. till only one or none of them were on.. then it would start over.. i had to reset the bios before i even got it to post

What coolant were you using?

I was running caseless a while ago, using deionised water and antifreeze 95/5, the waterblock leaked at the barb and started dripping over the motherboard. I was watching a film, and didnt notice it until the motherboard had a puddle covering most of the board - whilst it was all turned on and working perfectly.

I pulled the power from the PSU and started to dry everything off, used IPA aswell.

Wierd thing is, the motherboard worked whilst wet, and worked for a few days under stock cooling but then wouldnt POST for three weeks - I sent it in for RMA and they sent it back saying it worked.

I'm guessing the water became ionised after a few days causing a short, which made the board not POST, and then eventually dried up.

Give it a few days in a warm place?

I agree with clockwork, take everything apart and store it somewhere dry for a day or two. You could speed up the process a little with a hair dryer too. Then try booting with just the essentials plugged in, cpu, video card and one stick of memory. I have had that happen and all my components came out ok. Course I've also fried a video card from a leaky cpu block.

What coolant were you using?

I was running caseless a while ago, using deionised water and antifreeze 95/5, the waterblock leaked at the barb and started dripping over the motherboard. I was watching a film, and didnt notice it until the motherboard had a puddle covering most of the board - whilst it was all turned on and working perfectly.

I pulled the power from the PSU and started to dry everything off, used IPA aswell.

Wierd thing is, the motherboard worked whilst wet, and worked for a few days under stock cooling but then wouldnt POST for three weeks - I sent it in for RMA and they sent it back saying it worked.

I'm guessing the water became ionised after a few days causing a short, which made the board not POST, and then eventually dried up.

Give it a few days in a warm place?
Clean it first : http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=5289931&postcount=22
Also De-ionized water bets reionized very quickly when _ANYTHING_ is added to it... things like dust...

Back