• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tragic WC accident

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoodleGTS

So my Apogtee GTX leaked and killed my q6600 yesterday.

The thing is it didn't leak from the barbs... it leaked randomly from the side. Do you know if there is any recourse against Swiftech for my dead processor? And if water leaked into my 775 slot, killing my processor, do you know if it also probably killed the motherboard or if the mobo should be fine?

The only thing to do, IMO, is contact Swiftech. So long as you didn't do anything blatantly wrong, I think they might help you out. They've got great support.

The only thing to do, IMO, is contact Swiftech. So long as you didn't do anything blatantly wrong, I think they might help you out. They've got great support.

I cuncur. if the seal on the side of the block is not broken, and it leaks, then contact Swiftech. They should take care of you.

Sry about your loss :(

So my Apogtee GTX leaked and killed my q6600 yesterday.

The thing is it didn't leak from the barbs... it leaked randomly from the side. Do you know if there is any recourse against Swiftech for my dead processor? And if water leaked into my 775 slot, killing my processor, do you know if it also probably killed the motherboard or if the mobo should be fine?

That really stinks.

How do you know that your processor is dead or your MB? Did you dry everything out properly and then try it again?

Take the MB out, hit it with compressed air, and make sure to literally soak the 775 socket with rubbing alcohol and let it dry overnight propped upright in front of a fan. Rubbing alcohol will remove any water trapped in those little sockets when it evaporates. Make sure it is dry before trying your processor again or another processor.

If your CPU doesn't then work, there is just no way to know if the MB or processor is damaged or not without swapping out one or the other. That is really the only way you are going to know. I would go buy another processor locally that will work with your MB and see if it works. You can always take it back within the returns period.

Sorry to hear about your loss, like the other guys said Swift is usually pretty good about customer service, I had a friend in a similar situation get his system replaced no questions asked when one of the factory seals popped.

I've had some waterblock (can't remember) leak ALL down my P4 775, my Northbridge and both my 6600GT's and came out fine. I would blow the heck out of it and let it sit infront of a fan overnight before throwing in the towel.

I prefer the 99% alcohol bath/submerging and letting it dry in front of a slow fan for a day of two. Brought back to life a motherboard, GPU, and some RAM! :)

I also agree of contacting Swiftech if you did not dissemble the block; if it was straight out of the box, then you have grounds to file a complaint to Swiftech.

Good luck,

bryan d

Did you just put the loop together? If you did, didn't you leak test? If the loop has been together for some time, I really hope swiftech does take care of you.

--pak

You submerged a motherboard in alcohol?

MB, video cards, RAM, absolutely in rubbing alcohol.

Water or liquid doesn't hurt boards one bit. It is the electricity that is conducted where it shouldn't be that shorts things out.

A rubbing alcohol bath is the best thing to make sure you get rid of any water that finds its way into tiny holes like on the CPU socket, PCI slots, RAM slots, etc. It will evaporate water with it. Just blowing things out with air alone doesn't mean that it will dry if water gets into itty bitty spots.

Water or liquid doesn't hurt boards one bit. It is the electricity that is conducted where it shouldn't be that shorts things out.

A rubbing alcohol bath is the best thing to make sure you get rid of any water that finds its way into tiny holes like on the CPU socket, PCI slots, RAM slots, etc. It will evaporate water with it. Just blowing things out with air alone doesn't mean that it will dry if water gets into itty bitty spots.

very very interesting technique. I hope I never have to do that though.

--pak

ARG. I was so paranoid about running water in my system that I ran my loop outside my case for 3 days before i installed it. Mounting it to the mobo causes some pressure on the block, as the screws are pulled in opposite directions. that may be what caused it to leak if it was defective in the first place (otherwise I dont know). It wasnt leaking at all outside my case.

And LOL i'm sorry for your loss... yes, part of me DID die yesterday...

My computer died in its sleep (lol) meaning that it was working fine, and I shut it off, then it wouldn't power back on (it did, but no cpu beep) at which point i discovered the leak. Does that mean that most likely my mobo has been spared??

Not saying this war your fault, but this is a good example of why you should should leak test once with the loop not installed then again with the loop installed in your case with everything bolted down and all of your electronics off. This way, if a leak does occur, nothing will be damaged. I have twice now found a leak in my loop after I secured the blocks and everything down and didn't see the leak with everything loose.

--pak

An alternative to rubbing alcohol would be to put the items in an enclosed environment with a dehumidifier and run it constantly for a day or two.

Yup. Works evry time I use it :D I also use this method to wash off parts of crudded dust. Like i said, it works like a charm evry time :thup:

That rubbing alcohol is a weird technique, I will have to keep that one in mind~!

I think his name is Ben333, but he showed me a picture of his setup, totally submerged in oil (vegetable?). Worked fine, since oil cannot conduct electricity.

Was a hilarious picture though. I'll try to find it.

Back