• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can you recycle ("mod" a GPU water block)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mycobacteria

Ok so in the past I invested in some water cooling for my 7950GT (from danger den koolsah SLI).

I now want to upgrade to 8800 GTX but the old water block wont fit the new cards. It seems like a waste to throw away a perfeclty good water block....

So who out there has modded their old water blocks to cover the new 8800GTX ????

Thats the biggest down side to full face blocks. Normally only good for 1 generation of cards.

--pak

True that Pak,

The OP would be best off, by selling the old blocks to recuperate some capital to purchasing a new block... preferably a non-full face block.

Good luck,

bryan d

PS - I heard a story of someone robbing a cemetery for Copper vases to get recycled for cash... maybe you could get in touch with your local metal plant/recycler/warehouse to see if your copper blocks could be worth some cash for the raw copper?

I got a chunk of 1.5"x.375"x24" copper for $30, and already have tons of 1/4" copper tubing. I'm going to make my own memory/mosfet blocks and run some h2o though them, since they really don't need much cooling.

Your only be would be to grind away any copper that interfers with the new card's parts, then maybe use thick heat pads (like they used on the PS2) to x-fer memory heat away.

Back