• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

tualatin motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

airflow

Registered
Hi,

I am about to purchase a motherboard.
I am trying to decide between the
Abit ST6 and the Asus TUSL2-C, or TUA266.

I want the motherboard to work with my current Celeron 600 which runs at 900mhz, and I want it to support the Tualatin, so I can upgrade down the track with the intention of overclocking

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? are these the boards I should be considering?

thanks.

If you wont be needing more than 512mb of ram, you
might want to look at the Soyo TISU.

It's got lots of OCing options and the voltage adjustments
work with the Tualatin in it. (I think the Asus board had
troubles with this...)

It ran my 800EB fine for a while. Got it running 150fsb
with the Tualatin in it right now fine. Prime testing in
the background...

You might also check up on the Gigabyte 60XET-C also.
I am going to be getting one of those soon.

Get the ST6. Why? Beacause if you exceed FSB of like 124 you have a a 1/4 divider instead of a 1/3 so your PCI will not be out of spec whatsoever. They are very stable boards and from previous read from posts the TUSCL2 seem to be a buggy board sort of and not really stable.

The ST6 will provide you with everything espically future Tualatin support which you can upgrade to the new Tualatin core when you want.

The Gigabyte XET has a lot more versatility than 'just' a 1/4 pci divider and allows full voltage adjustment without vid pinning, unlike the ST-6....You just gotta find one....Although the XET-C mobo's are readily avaliable and are still a very nice board (just don't have duel bios and Creative onboard sound)....

Flu!d said:
The Gigabyte XET has a lot more versatility than 'just' a 1/4 pci divider and allows full voltage adjustment without vid pinning, unlike the ST-6....You just gotta find one....Although the XET-C mobo's are readily avaliable and are still a very nice board (just don't have duel bios and Creative onboard sound)....

Although I don't know how the Gigabyte will overclock but with the ST6 your guaranteed a motherboard that will last and he's only using a 600 Celeron @ 900 so I don't think he will need to vidpin mod the chip.

Thanks for the tips, I've now bought an ABIT ST6.
Should be a nice upgrade over my BH6, and hopefully I'll now reach over 1000mhz:burn: with the celly 600.

When tualatins get more common, cheaper and higher multipliers, I'll get one.

I had an ABit BE6-II and all I can say what a bucketload of troubles and headaches! The problem with ABit is that too many of their boards just seem to 'slip' past quality control....

I'm on my third Gigabyte board through upgrading (mates are still using my old boards with no probs) and I have never had 'one' problem with their quality or their stability....Mabye that's why so many OEM's choose Gigabyte boards?!

Who says they won't last.

airflow said:
Thanks for the tips, I've now bought an ABIT ST6.
Should be a nice upgrade over my BH6, and hopefully I'll now reach over 1000mhz:burn: with the celly 600.

When tualatins get more common, cheaper and higher multipliers, I'll get one.

Actually the ST6 is good fro .13u chips but not for the .18u chips in OC'n usually. You will only get a 1.825v top end vcore without a vcore mod.

Also you may want to get the lower multi celeries so you can run like a 150~160FSB. 10x may be the best on the ST6 as it can handle fsb's to 167FSB for sure. 160FSB should be a cake walk.

Now if ol fluid would get us some results on the celery above 1.6GHz I amy suggest that board. I am not going to go on hypothetical statements any more as a few people have taken my advice and bought the GB board to not be happy with it.

Who's not happy with it and why? I've had no problems and neither has anyone i've reccomended the board to....

If you're talking about the guy that can't get the 1/4 pci divider working....Well....You know it's got not only a 1/4 pci divider but also a lot more....

My chip 'has' run a 1.6 gig on this mobo for a short time @ 1.6 volts with a dodgy PSU with no probs (although, once again, it was a short time)....I am only running @ 1.5 gig to thoroughly test for stability so that I know where my problems are comming from @ 1.6 gig 'if I have any'....

....I am also very happy with my peformance @ 1.5 gig as the mamory bandwidth on this board is very impressive for a 815 EP2 mobo....

....Ol'man, why don't you just get an XET mobo and try it for yerself if you don't believe me....

On a closing note....Due to past experiences, I too can't reccomend an ABit board due to their past problems with quality control....Like I said, i've had 3 Gigabyte boards and never had any problems with one of them....

BTW....The XET also has a 1.825 volt Vcore on not only Cumine chips but also Tualatin chips....And my P3 1000EB loves this board....

Flu!d said:
Who's not happy with it and why? I've had no problems and neither has anyone i've reccomended the board to....

If you're talking about the guy that can't get the 1/4 pci divider working....Well....You know it's got not only a 1/4 pci divider but also a lot more....

My chip 'has' run a 1.6 gig on this mobo for a short time @ 1.6 volts with a dodgy PSU with no probs (although, once again, it was a short time)....I am only running @ 1.5 gig to thoroughly test for stability so that I know where my problems are comming from @ 1.6 gig 'if I have any'....

....I am also very happy with my peformance @ 1.5 gig as the mamory bandwidth on this board is very impressive for a 815 EP2 mobo....

....Ol'man, why don't you just get an XET mobo and try it for yerself if you don't believe me....

On a closing note....Due to past experiences, I too can't reccomend an ABit board due to their past problems with quality control....Like I said, i've had 3 Gigabyte boards and never had any problems with one of them....

BTW....The XET also has a 1.825 volt Vcore on not only Cumine chips but also Tualatin chips....And my P3 1000EB loves this board....

Well I have been planning it for some time now:D

Back