• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Loop order

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlitzPuppet

Just built my loop and want to make sure this is the best order. 1/2 ID tubing with a D5 pump and TDX cpu block.

Pump-res-CPU-Rad-pump.

That efficient or am I wasting energy by pushing right into the res?

what is the Right order? I am gnna build a rig soon and need to know. ^ sorry I didn't answer your question.....

You want to have the Res b4 the pump not after otherwise you risk starving your pump. You also want your CPU block after your Rad so it's getting the coolest possible water. The order that will provide you the best temps is Res -> Pump -> Rad -> CPU -> Res.

Well, honestly it won't make any noticeable difference. But in theory, going...rad directly to CPU would be the best. The only reason is because this way the water is coolest when it hits the CPU (the pump adds heat). But the water ends up hitting a steady state in which the fluxuations are so small you'd need incredibly expensive equipment to tell.
I would put it in whatever order allows for the fewest bends/elbows because decreasing flow will have much more of an impact than order.

pump > rad > cpu > res > pump

Personally I would go with a t-line instead of a res.

Thank you for the link! Where would the T-Line go? would it just hang around? or do you tape it to part of the case?

;)

Thank you for the link! Where would the T-Line go? would it just hang around? or do you tape it to part of the case?

;)

Well guess it depends on your case and preference. There are two popular ways to place the t-line.

One is at the very top of the loop most likely right after the water leaves the block. My case has a bar across where the PSU goes so I just zip tied the tubing to the bar and had the t-line going up through the top of my case.

The other way is after the pump, if you have a pump that has the outlet horizontal then the T-line would be right after the outlet on the bottom of the case with a foot or so of tubing going up.

I have mine set up like this. This is not my picture as I have a TT armor but ine is set up the same way.

p4040345-1.jpg

In the 2nd pic I can see STD 007 used both a T line AND a res so its not really a res only. BTW that blue dye that he used really stains the tubes.

A res has its advantages aswell. You can add thermometers, large fill holes (for chunks of ice), multiple barbs for dual loop systmes, and a divider to aid the bleeding process.

Last edited:
Yeah but it can be a pain to clean...

Adding impurities to water usually dulls its effectivenss as a coolant...

If you just use blue lights around the acrylic res the water looks blue without the dye....

Back