• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tubing question ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
One is "ok to good", the other one is "fantastic to amazing".
Basically Tygon is very flexible and easy to work with, and can make very tight turns more easily.
However with a heat gun and some sleeving any tubing will do the job. ;)

ok ... now where can i get it for cheap ... i'm from canada so ... if you have any ides lmk ... i can buy from u.s. e-store if they ship to canada ...

Tygon really isnt worth the price. Get clearflex 60

I choose to respectfully disagree. I use Tygon Silver, and it is worth every penny. The silver kills the bacteria that would try to grow in the water, and the non-clear tubing won't allow the algea to grow. So basically, I haven't ever had the need to change my water. Unlike the rest of the guys who use clear tubing and ultraviolet additives. My watercooling parts are as clean as a whistle, just as the day they were assembled.

Tygon silver tubing makes the circuit maintanence free.

The problem with Clearflex is that it clouds very quickly. Masterkleer on the other hand takes a lot longer to cloud. Tygon is more flexible than Masterkleer and also takes a while to cloud, although in my setups the Masterkleer takes longer. I don't care the for Tygon Silver as I don't want silver tubing. A couple of drops of algaecide works fine, and I have never had any growth at all.

Take a look at http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=375205 for more info on tubing.

I think Petrastechshop ships to Canada: http://www.petrastechshop.com/tubing.html

NCIX is in Canada and carries some tubing but not the silver:
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?minorcatid=1165&subminorcatid=164

Yep clearflex 60 isnt as flexable as tygon (so it makes it difficult for tight spots) and it clouds super quickly like about 2 weeks later the tubes turn white.

The tygon tubes you guys use are usually R3603 which was purpose built for chem labs. Generally they are very reisistant to solvents, and heat and they dont leach as much ie let moisture escape from the tube.

Add an extra 30 cents ontop of the R3603 and you can buy Tygon Silver Antimicrobial Tubes.... Thus you will never have to clean your loop ever again. And you dont have to worry about alage or bacterial growth cloggin up your stom water block and pumps.

I choose to respectfully disagree. I use Tygon Silver, and it is worth every penny. The silver kills the bacteria that would try to grow in the water, and the non-clear tubing won't allow the algea to grow. So basically, I haven't ever had the need to change my water. Unlike the rest of the guys who use clear tubing and ultraviolet additives. My watercooling parts are as clean as a whistle, just as the day they were assembled.

Tygon silver tubing makes the circuit maintanence free.

If you are a constant tinkerer like myself, go for the Masterkleer. It's a 6th of the price so you can afford to change ur loop as often as you'd like and still spend less than Tygon.

I have the Masterkleer stuff and wouldn't get anything else, the 7/16" IC stuff with 3/36" think wall will hug your 1/2" bard so tight you'll need a mule to pull the tubes off. But boilling the tubes will make it a breeze to work with plus side effect is you sterelize your tubes if you leave them for a few mins.

for 10' tubes NCIX is fine but don't be afraid to go directly to McMaster-Carr for longer tubes last time I ordered from then I got my order to my door in less then 24h with regular shipping.

Last edited:
Personally, I like thin-walled Tygon 3603 for those really tight turns - when combined with SmartCoils you just can't beat it.

Otherwise, MasterKleer is just as good or better for our purposes ...

It still makes me wonder why people would spend $60+ per water block, then decide that $3/foot is too expensive for tubing... It's not like we use 20ft of tubing in these things. If you bought the 'best block' and 'best pump' for your loop... buy the best tubing. Otherwise you are doing the equivalent of bringing a Ferarri to Maaco when the paint gets scratched.

i think the price is not a question but why pay 3$/foot for who make the job at 1$/foot or less ... my first tubing was some clearflex 60 ... these one get white inside and it's being loose on the barbs with time (hard to put some clamps with the fusion cpu block and 3/4 o/d tubing) so this 7/16 tubing just fith tight on barb without any clamps on the barbs ... (ideal on the fusion cpu block) ... so this tubing just doing the job just well at 5$ for 10 feet ...

I like 7/16th Tygon 3603 (over 1/2" connections) better than masklateer because it seems to bend more evenly with less kinks and seems to hug EK's barbs better, more grip. I place a bent piece of silver 99% wire from ebay in my resevoir for bacteria.

I like 7/16th Tygon 3603 (over 1/2" connections) better than masklateer because it seems to bend more evenly with less kinks and seems to hug EK's barbs better, more grip. I place a bent piece of silver 99% wire from ebay in my resevoir for bacteria.

Does the bent piece of silver wire really work in killing bacteria in the loop?

How much wire do you have to use?

It's just bent to make it stay in the corner of the resevoir. It doesn't have to be bent, just my choice. It's only 4" long by 2mm wide. It's been proven that prevents bacteria from forming, I think it affects the reproduction of it.

It's just bent to make it stay in the corner of the resevoir. It doesn't have to be bent, just my choice. It's only 4" long by 2mm wide. It's been proven that prevents bacteria from forming, I think it affects the reproduction of it.
Hmm...that is new to me if that is true, do you have a link? I am interested in that and may use it the next time I watercool...

I have no idea if it kills the type of bacteria in our loops. I buy deionized water, take the silver wire that has been pre-sanded to remove any oxidation (does silver even oxidize?), and let the rod sit in there for several weeks to months in hopes of ions being taken up by the deionized water. I just use that a few months down the road with the other wire already in the loop.

Very general info:
http://www.fraunhofer.de/fhg/Images/magazine1-2004-48_tcm6-10184.pdf
"They destroy the enzymes that transport cell nutrients, weaken the cell membrane or cell wall and cytoplasm, and disrupt cell division and proliferation processes. The bacteria are unable to survive this treatment. Silver coated medical instruments and devices thus remain germ-free."

http://www.edc-cu.org/pdf/Silver Paper.pdf
"Vikings would line the hull of their ships with strings of silver and copper to prevent growth of algae and barnacles. Notably, modern ships still use silver and copper for the same purpose (Laubusch 1971)."

Silver ions use three main mechanisms to control bacterial growth.
a) Remove hydrogen atoms from sulfhydryl groups (-SH) on bacteria and viruses.
Sulphur atoms then join and block cellular respiration and electron transfer.
b) Inhibit DNA replication by interfering with DNA unwinding.
c) Alter the bacterial membrane with enzyme mechanisms

http://www.epa.gov/oppsrrd1/REDs/factsheets/4082fact.pdf
"Silver also is used to control several types of algae in swimming pool water systems"

http://www.lenntech.com/water-disinfection/disinfectants-copper-silver-ionization.htm
"Well water containing copper and silver coins is very bright, due to the biocidal affect of these metals."

Last edited:
Back