• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Was this a good deal? WC noob needs help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oc1Kenube

Ok so i just decided to dip my toe in the water cooling market and decided to do it on the cheap ie i bought my mates old parts.

I paid 120 uk pounds for a koolance exos 1, a thermaltake armour case and this water block along with a bottle of fluid xp
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=160169156689&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=006

Now the help part, i need to know if it would be possible to easily make my own bracket for the koolance block as it does not come with the lga775 bracket as my m8 had an am2 system any suggestions on how i could do this would be appreciated, i can buy 1 but im a penny pincher and hope i can get round having to wait until next pay day to be able to use this setup.

Secondly will i be able to add a chipset block and a gpu block at a later date without compromising the cooling on the cpu?.

The Koolance Exos is not designed for high end cooling. It's just a cpu cooling setup, and it's just for silence. If you put the gpu and a chipset block you'll actually wind up killing the tiny pump and the rest of the tiny system. Also the tubing size and rad won't be able to handle the load of the 775, much less the gpu and chipset.

I'd hate to say it, but you just wasted money on this. You would've done alot better getting high end air cooling instead or buying separate parts and build the kit yourself.

Ouch, look at the watercooling setup in my sig, that cost me about £120... and it performs extremely well.

I'd say try it out, realise it's not worth the hassle and put it back to eBay.

Ouch, look at the watercooling setup in my sig, that cost me about £120... and it performs extremely well.

I'd say try it out, realise it's not worth the hassle and put it back to eBay.

I also got a thermaltake armour case included in the price which still retails at 100-120 plus shipping at least.

ive heard you can put in/mod your own rad and pumps and all reviews point to this doing a decent job i guess ill see if it beats my u120e air cooler 1st then resell on ebay and buy custom instead

Last edited:
Yea, with the case+fluidXP its not an awful deal. But still, its good to know that you are at least not entering this arena on your own... I've seen a lot of people here that their first post is "I killed my rig :( "

Yea, with the case+fluidXP its not an awful deal. But still, its good to know that you are at least not entering this arena on your own... I've seen a lot of people here that their first post is "I killed my rig :( "

LOL cheers for the reassurance.

Ive got it up and running and its very quiet which i am impressed with but i have no bracket for the water block so guess im gonna have to either buy 1 "sigh" or fashion one myself, ill report back.

make one. I have a feeling that buying the part would be very expensive.

Unless you can find a cheap universal block mount?

Or maybe buy the cheapest second hand block you can find, preferably one with cracked and warped plexy and rusted metal, and use that mounting system as a donor.

Or get the D-Tek Fuzion CPU block, as it seems to be the best there is at the moment, and get rid of the Koolance block on eBay. That way you have the best block available and it's actually not that expensive either. It'd be a pity spending money on something which will only be used for 'testing' imho.

If you then decide to stick with watercooling and further upgrade the system you simply do so but keep the CPU block.

will this block actually outperform the koolance block using the exos? as this block is still 40 uk pounds new actually more expensive than the dtek

I'm not sure, haven't seen the Koolance block included in the reviews I read (mostly Swiftech and D-Tek and some other more known brands). But in those it seems the D-Tek Fuzion 'wins'.

If the EXOS1 isn't up to the task anyway, I guess the Fuzion block won't help much. I was mostly reasoning that if you plan to stick with WC, it's at least money well invested in a future upgrade :)

could i add a second rad say just a 120mm to this setup for better heat dissipation?

If the pump manages, then I don't see why not.

Cheers for reply think ill pick up a 120 rad the pump seems plenty powerful enough to me and im even going to add a chipset block just to see how it goes and if it's not up to much ill just buy the proper kit piece by piece or go back to my u120 extreme either way it will be fun.

Cheers for reply think ill pick up a 120 rad the pump seems plenty powerful enough to me and im even going to add a chipset block just to see how it goes and if it's not up to much ill just buy the proper kit piece by piece or go back to my u120 extreme either way it will be fun.

Well if you're determined to add another rad and a chipset block, rest assured that Koolance pump will not be able to push it. The flow of water is going to be sooo slow your chip will eventually overheat. This is an accident waiting to happen. Good luck.

Well if you're determined to add another rad and a chipset block, rest assured that Koolance pump will not be able to push it. The flow of water is going to be sooo slow your chip will eventually overheat. This is an accident waiting to happen. Good luck.

Noted, like stated before im only going to experiment a little i may add a second decent pump and a rad, i may go back to air or i may just sell the thing who knows but before any of that i need to make a tbracket and the dremels dissapeared :O(

Back