• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie Hello

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lounge Lizard 6

Registered
Have already made a couple of quick posts, but before I do any more want to intro myself...

First computer was an 8088 Zenith Laptop that Uncle Sam handed me one day many years ago with no instruction on how it worked. Don't remember if it even had Windoze on it. Think it was just DOS 3.X or 4.X Have worked around office computers as a user (abuser) eversince. My current employer has a NT4 network that encompasses about 1200 workstations just at one site. I'm still an abuser. :D

I'm here because quite by happenstance. While replacing my fried mobo a few years ago I accidentally installed an early BE6. Didn't know anything then of OC'ing but now I want to. My dilema is simple; my PII 450 doesn't want to OC. Check my sig to see if there are any major bottlenecks. I figure it's the vid card at the very least. Replies and recommendations are most welcome.

Thanks

Hi, LL6...I never had one of those cpu's. From what i read
they are not o/c friendly. Check the main page, there's a
link for cpu database. Look for your cpu, and compare.

I would think you should be able to at least run 112 FSB for a total of 504 MHz, if your cooling is good. You might need to use thermal paste between the CPU and heatsink, and then maybe add an extra case fan or two.

I bumped it up to a 112 FSB with X5.5 Mult Fac, AGP/CPU Clk 2/3, core volts 2.00. I get the warning, "CPU is unworkable or has been changed." I choose the "F1" option to continue and it seems to run fine.

That seems to get me past the first hurdle...me not reading the warning thoroughly. I've always just read the "unworkable" and left it at that.

I've got an Antec ATX RPM sensor case fan and a nice slot 1 twin fan that I don't remember the brand of but I've attached a pic.

My next question would be, will the BIOS hold this setting? On the next reboot when I went into my BIOS it was at the factory 233 default. If I reboot and not go into my BIOS will it remain at the user defined settings?

As far as temps go they have been running up to 32-33c with the new clocking and 2.00v. I reduced the volts to 1.95 and the temp dropped to ~30c. I know there are a few more things I need to do like add thermal grease which I'm running without at the moment.

Back