• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

the sort of $150 who cares chip.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orionlion82

http://www.overclockers.com/tips01231/

(note that its not a tip, but the site once published them - (mouseover the full address)
and why does that matter? because its completely irrelevant.

and so is eds big "tip" on the $150 quadcore.
if anything - he needs a tip.

a $150 quadcore is completely irrelevant (now were getting somewhere!)

and its not because the software we have to take advantage or four cores comes bundled with duke nukem. - NO! (thats too optimistic)

but it is because he makes way too much of intel verses amd, without looking at the obvious.

they are both becoming "big iron" (thats to say they are making themselves irrelavent with this core-cache-chip-price-war thing when they are basing their companies on something NO ONE CAN EVEN USE - and i would love to be proven wrong but its holding water so far)

raise your hand if you have an IBM computer right here and right now (not in your closet, but on your desk!)

raise your hand if you can sit and respond through software that makes good use - no.. even fair use (whoops! fair is illegal - sorry) okay - poor use of eleventeen processors.

(that would make your location the basement of a server room in a university with a thousand pound machine inside the room with you)

if big iron falls in the middle of the forest, how many overclockers and technology writers will be there to lap up its pool of blood?

so where are you all?
where is the little iron?
where is the power of eleventeen?

ten thousand chickens (verses the single ox - as in plowing a field)
are coming, but they arent cores.
they are companies.
lilliputians.
eleventeen thousand of them.

and if i had to guess - they wont fail to deliver, and thats something intel and amd havnt figured out just yet.

they wont sell pie in the sky technology just because its juicy.
theyll sell useful technology because it smells like dirty socks and scares small children.

children that have been eating clean socks and technology hallucinations since they were born.

the children will get confuzed and have colic with the sudden diet of reality.
think of the children.

This is how UT3 scales with more cores.

15797.png

That's the difference at 1024X768, the cpu stressful res makes up for the lack of bots and physics.
Now there will be crysis and some games based on source, UT, probably crysis engine etc, can't really see why wouldn't a dual especially ocd one be enough for a while.

Not that I really complain if they make 150$ quads but won't jump on it anyway.
For Joes a dual cely for 50$ will be much more worth it or it's AMD alternative.

This is how MS Word Scales:

Attachments

• Core Scaling.jpg
    Core Scaling.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 706
(raise your hand if you have an IBM computer right here and right now (not in your closet, but on your desk!)

raise your hand if you can sit and respond through software that makes good use - no.. even fair use (whoops! fair is illegal - sorry) okay - poor use of eleventeen processors.

(that would make your location the basement of a server room in a university with a thousand pound machine inside the room with you)

Actually I have an IBM as/400 it is not a 1000 pound machine but a 50lb ( at most) 4u rackmount.
The rest of your post makes sense but I did want to clarify that.

We have LONG since passed the point where you needed a new PC for anything but gaming/video editing. At work we sell refurbed P3-550, 128MB, 6.4GB and DVD-Roms, they run XP Home, play DVD's flawlessly and read as many webpages and mails as you want, and they are only around £50 for the system. Countless grannys and mums have been happy with them.

You don't need any more unless you do gaming or similar power hungry stuff, and I'm guessing less than 1% of the worlds many PC's are. So the OP has a point.

This is how MS Word Scales:

Yes, if you are talking about WPM becuase that is a function of the user not the CPU speed. However if you start placing pictures, graphs, charts, and equations in there the faster CPU scales much better than the older ones. I know for the boring Excel, Word, and IE multitasking I do a dual core CPU is faster than a single core CPU.

Yes, if you are talking about WPM becuase that is a function of the user not the CPU speed. However if you start placing pictures, graphs, charts, and equations in there the faster CPU scales much better than the older ones. I know for the boring Excel, Word, and IE multitasking I do a dual core CPU is faster than a single core CPU.

We have LONG since passed the point where you needed a new PC for anything but gaming/video editing. At work we sell refurbed P3-550, 128MB, 6.4GB and DVD-Roms, they run XP Home, play DVD's flawlessly and read as many webpages and mails as you want, and they are only around £50 for the system. Countless grannys and mums have been happy with them.

You don't need any more unless you do gaming or similar power hungry stuff, and I'm guessing less than 1% of the worlds many PC's are. So the OP has a point.

That chart WAS done on a PIII 550..overclocked..see sig

I think the OP's point was that being able to blow up the earth 100 times isn't much more usefull that being able to do it once or twice....it just wastes time, money and resources.

Even though quad core doesn't matter now, it matters to many because the manufacturers say it does.

Hehehe you're one tough customer as always bro. No one's making anyone buy anything. Would you rather see quads priced at a minimum of $500 instead? :p

the last time i used a P-III was about 15 months ago. it did not let me down.

(try putting your prices in dollars - its terribly un-american not to)

in other words a P-III for $100 is STILL A GOOD DEAL.
eleventeen cores have not saved me from this.

in other words a P-III for $100 is STILL A GOOD DEAL.

No buying or selling outside the classifieds. You should know this -- David

---

Just because you can't use eleveen cores doesn't mean we can't. If I was able to get a chip with 200 cores that are fast, I would go for it, because once in a while I try to model what we learn in physics. I tried making a bunch of "electrons" and model which ways they will go and which forces will win. My CPU nearly died.

Now, will that P3 be able to do anything like that? Can it fold quickly? Can it encode a video fast enough? Can it play games? Can it compile programs fast enough?

The software that can use 4 cores is here. You seem to not have it. As for the rest of your post, can you make it clearer?

Last edited by a moderator:
raise your hand if you have an IBM computer right here and right now (not in your closet, but on your desk!)

I'll raise my hand, I have an old IBM P4 tower at my desk. Five years old and still running strong on the same OS install, don't need anything faster for processing phone call logs, but, being a P4 it is still a total turd and I utterly and completely despise it :) I hate browsing the web on it, Firefox takes forever to load, damned slow Willamette architecture. :mad:

But...I would totally love a quad-core, especially for "around $150." I could utilize all four cores immediately with folding.

Actually I have an IBM as/400 it is not a 1000 pound machine but a 50lb ( at most) 4u rackmount.
The rest of your post makes sense but I did want to clarify that.

Hey, hkgonra. Good to see another AS/400 user here. I'll raise my hand as well, as there are two of them in the room right next to me. Towers, not rack mounts; not quite 1000 pounds, but certainly bigger than a breadbox. 10,000 users on the network and counting.

When it comes to big, powerful machines, I'm a total power slu*. I love to wake up and caress the keyboard and stroke the mouse of the machine in my sig, fire up 35-40 apps all at once and crank out databases, code and graphics all at the same time at an insane rate. I have no patience for a machine that makes me wait even one second for my total satisfaction.

Ah, well...back to churning out RPG...

Last edited:
This article applies to all the regular people in our lives. For them all these new processor cores only amounts to them running all the spy-ware and malware they get from myspace and freaking pogo. I on the other hand just went from AMD 3200x2 to E6600. This matters because I encode something like 5-8 .avi into DVDs using nero recode. This used to take about 1.5 hours burn but on my new Intel system it only takes 45min. I know for a fact that my next move to quad-core will take burning times below 30min.

You need to understand that everyone had different needs when it comes to computers. My entire family uses a 1.8 P4 system and never complain... until they got iPods. Now I have my sister asking me to convert movies for her Ipod using nero recode because she knows my computer is about 2-3X faster than their P4 rig. Hell my little sister saw me running Vista and now wants it. Personally I take care of my families tech needs as I'm sure most of you do as well. There is no way ill be putting Vista on their P4 rig. I'd rater buy them a e2xxx series Conroe and call it a day.

To sum it all up. If you build it they will come, and people are starting to use all these cores. I fix a lot of peoples computer that have pirated movies and DVD creation software and they like their Dual core rigs.

Quote removed - issue has been fixed. -- David

so yeah. PIII is still the granddaddy.
buy low and clock high, right?
ALLSO - i have all the horsepower i need 90% of the time with a 3100+ (sempy!)

my point was to clarify -

little chipmakers are coming.
the samsungs and nolkias and Texas Insturments - and i feel its going to make the big two irrelavent. (even with general purpose desktops)

i believe its only a matter of time.

ten thousend chickens, remember? its intells biggest game.

Last edited by a moderator:
hell yes more fps for me!!!!!!111

the A.D.D suffering, Ridilin popping, mouth foaming fps gamer!! whooowh ooowh ooowhoo whoooo

Cheap quads wwhoowho wohoow hooow howoo!!\

Consumer wins whooowh whooowh ooowhwho whooo

Back