• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Buy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lotec25

Got a Story for everyone, Today I went to Best buy to get a part serviced on a Laptop i had bought for my wife about a year and three months ago. I Walked up to the desk handed them the power supply that is bad. The girl tested it and said yea it is bad. I handed her my paper work witch i purchased the extended warranty on the laptop and was told the power supply was not covered. As it is not part of the computer. Why then do you purchase the extended warranty that the sales reps say everything is covered, I asked and was told that it is for manufacture default. Well the Power Supply was faulty and it did come with the computer. The manager came out said the same thing. And said there is nothing I can do but buy a new one.

I just want everyone to know there is no real reason to purchase the extended warranty on a piece of equipment that best buy has as they will not replace it anyway. I did send an email to there customer support today we will see what they say. Just kind of a waste I spent 50 bucks on a warranty for something that should be covered but it is not covered.

I'm not a laptop guy, but I've found that basically the only thing worth buying an extended warranty on is a used car. You should have been provided a list of what is covered and what is not when you bought the laptop.

The people selling the warranty will lie to your face, as long as you buy it.

Sorry for your misfortune. But you'd have to be half insane to buy a warranty from BEST BUY... I mean come on... It's BEST BUY. What the hell are THEY gonna do when something goes wrong with your computer?

If you want a good warranty on a laptop make it from a reliable manufacturer like Dell or whoever's making the Lenova or something. The money you may or may not save going the best buy route is moot.

The extended warranties should cover replacement parts, etc. A few years ago I purchased a rather expensive laptop at BB (good sale at the time). The salesperson, of course, did everything she could to get me to pick up the service plan. I asked if it covered accidental damage to the screen, to which she replied "Yes" - multiple times, no less.

I got home, then read the details of the PSP, and it explicitly stated that the PSP does not cover any sort of damage or defect to the screen. In other words, I was lied to. I didn't make a scene about it, but promptly returned the service plan (you have 30 days to do so).

In my opinion, retailers shouldn't be involved in selling insurance products. I think all insurance products should be sold by licensed and registered individuals.

So now, when I walk in to BB, I have a new tactic. Yesterday, I picked up an 80Gb PS3. I had the salesperson on the floor walk me to the (busy) checkout with the PS3. Then, I told the cashier that I'd like to shop some more. I walked around for a bit, then headed back to the register. When the cashier started the PSP sell, I stopped her, saying the sales associate had already done his best to convince me to purchase it (when he hadn't even mentioned it).

Extended warranties do nothing but pad the bottom line for retailers. They're a joke, and more often than not you won't be covered when something explodes. BB even tries to sell PSPs on individual games now, so that shows you how much money they make off these items.

The extended warranties should cover replacement parts, etc. A few years ago I purchased a rather expensive laptop at BB (good sale at the time). The salesperson, of course, did everything she could to get me to pick up the service plan. I asked if it covered accidental damage to the screen, to which she replied "Yes" - multiple times, no less.

I got home, then read the details of the PSP, and it explicitly stated that the PSP does not cover any sort of damage or defect to the screen. In other words, I was lied to. I didn't make a scene about it, but promptly returned the service plan (you have 30 days to do so).

In my opinion, retailers shouldn't be involved in selling insurance products. I think all insurance products should be sold by licensed and registered individuals.

So now, when I walk in to BB, I have a new tactic. Yesterday, I picked up an 80Gb PS3. I had the salesperson on the floor walk me to the (busy) checkout with the PS3. Then, I told the cashier that I'd like to shop some more. I walked around for a bit, then headed back to the register. When the cashier started the PSP sell, I stopped her, saying the sales associate had already done his best to convince me to purchase it (when he hadn't even mentioned it).

Extended warranties do nothing but pad the bottom line for retailers. They're a joke, and more often than not you won't be covered when something explodes. BB even tries to sell PSPs on individual games now, so that shows you how much money they make off these items.

hahahahahahh :D You don't have to go through a whole SONG AND DANCE about it... Just tell them "No." They usually say "Would you like a warranty?" to me and I say "No." Nobody at best buy has ever given it any more effort than that with me.

I actually just bought MY laptop from there. And it was more like "You want the warranty?" "No."

And that was going against my philosophy of never buying anything more expensive than a DVD at best buy.

Well maybe you should workout more... or buy a really intimidating hat or something. j/k :)

They usually don't ask me once. They wouldn't DARE ask me twice.

I try to keep a good attitude about it, but sometimes I preface a purchase with, "No, thanks, I don't want the extended warranty, and please don't mention it or I'll head over to Circuit City."

On a slow weekday, the salespeople are merciless.

Well the idea of a warranty i thought was if it goes bad you fix it. I cant believe they will not replace the power supply. I have not heard back from there CS dept yet. I just really don't know what the use is even of trying to sale a warranty if there not going to honor it. I did find one on ebay for 10 bucks. And the next time I do buy a product from them I will let them know what I think of there warranty.

Well the idea of a warranty i thought was if it goes bad you fix it. I cant believe they will not replace the power supply. I have not heard back from there CS dept yet. I just really don't know what the use is even of trying to sale a warranty if there not going to honor it. I did find one on ebay for 10 bucks. And the next time I do buy a product from them I will let them know what I think of there warranty.

The problem with Best Buy - and this is a bit unusual in the corporate world - is that their "screw the customer" strategy flows from the top down. It's a very male-centric, growth-focused business (like much of retail), but BB takes it to another level. Circuit City and other competition are in such dire straights right now, and BB is experiencing excellent growth. Regional Mangers, District Managers and Store Mangers are under such intense pressure to produce (their jobs are on the line with each monthly sales report) that the customer factors in last in many business decisions.

I take advantage of their no-interest financing plans, and feel good about paying on time and not getting screwed.

In your case, I hope it works out in your favor, but I've not once heard of their corporate CS department overturning a local manager's decision.

I got a extended warranty from best buy when i bought my first ipod. I'm glad I did, because about a year or so later the ipod had a ":(" on it and I mailed it back to some apple factory and i got a $xxx gift card for best buy to get myself a just released ipod video :).

your in america right? well i dont see what the big deal is, just sue them :D

no really i have never heard that the psu is not part of a computer, same as saying that you buy a car, but the exhaust is not part of it ....

your in america right? well i dont see what the big deal is, just sue them :D

no really i have never heard that the psu is not part of a computer, same as saying that you buy a car, but the exhaust is not part of it ....

I think he's referring to the power converter/supply on a laptop, which isn't part of the laptop proper but separate.

i really miss Fry's i got the best customer support there. i still dont get how they can say the power supply or converter is not part of the computer. It comes with the dang thing in the box with out it you could not use the computer. At least for any amount of time. I am sure i will hear nothing from there cs or i will hear the exact thing i hear from the Store manager.

On a side note i would sue but i dont have the cash as i had to pay 10 dollars for a new power supply for my wifes laptop :D

i really miss Fry's i got the best customer support there. i still dont get how they can say the power supply or converter is not part of the computer. It comes with the dang thing in the box with out it you could not use the computer. At least for any amount of time. I am sure i will hear nothing from there cs or i will hear the exact thing i hear from the Store manager.

On a side note i would sue but i dont have the cash as i had to pay 10 dollars for a new power supply for my wifes laptop :D

When I bought a laptop from Circuit City back in 2001, I purchased their 3 year extended warranty. At the time of the purchase every accessory that I packaged with the computer was covered under their extended warranty. My docking station that I purchased with the computer, broke two years into my warranty and they replaced it no questions asked. My experience with Circuit City and extended warranty on my laptop was a very good experience.

Just a heads up the extended service plans DO cover a battery replacement and an AC cable replacement too. Not sure what idiot you talked to, but they cover one replacement unless you got the $100 accidental coverage. That only covers accidents.

Lotec25, you said bought the service plan a year and three months ago? How long of a service plan did you buy? They are pro-rated so you should be able to return the remainder of it, IE if you bought a three year plan they should give you roughly half of it back. I'm kinda curious what kind of service plan you bought for $50.

I would still go back in and ask to talk to someone else about it because I know for a fact I've had my battery and power cable replaced (along with memory...and harddrive...and now my wireless card) and I've replaced many a customer's cables and whathave you. They should make a service tag for you, you call a 1-888 number and they ship out the part to you in like a week or two.

If you wanna talk shoot me a PM, worked there long enough to perhaps help with the idiots that populate most stores.

BB depending on the store and personal at the counter you can get many different answers. I dobut policies have changed much since I've worked there but, its all about the plans. They have got to make money on there plans to stay in business thats the way I see it. I don't mind shopping or buying stuff from BB since its usually the cheapest and closest store for certain items but there warrenties are usually rip offs.

I've gotten 3 warrenties to date from them, 1 was for speakers (I got it for like a buck) when I was working there so really it wasn't a bid deal, didn't use it. Second was for an Xbox that a friend and I bought, he ended up with the unit but he didn't use it that I know of. Third was for my PSP, I got the warranty cheap like $5 (discounted thanks to a BB employee im friends with).

I only get warranties at drastically reduced rates, otherwise pssh forget it, and only on certain things usually. For the average person, don't consider it, if you like fighting back then yes by all means go for it because you'll have a hell of a time mostly to even get them to consider it "under warranty".

Mooyo: I don't think the plans are pro-rated at all, they weren't when I worked there thats for sure. Might also be different expecially if your at the main store there in MN.

Back