• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows RAM specs.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
98/ME don't normally function well with more than 512MB installed. There are work-arounds but generally it's not worth the trouble.

Win2K and XP can support up to 4GB.

Win9x takes up to 384 without complaint, will go higher ( I've heard) with a regedit.

Win with NT kernel (NT 4.0, 2K and XP) will take as much as you can throw at it, effectively. There is a limit, but I don't think you can get near it unless you are using expensive server hardware: mobo with many ram slots, or ram sticks over 1gig.

I don't know what win 98SE uses but I have 768 installed and I have not touched the registry. I have my AGP apature set to 32meg

It appears there is an 800 meg arena that windows uses. memory + the agp apature must be below this or windows will not boot.

I am not saying that it is used but it wont crash.
I dual boot to w2k. I have the mem for that OS, I just load win98 to play UT.

HTH

Win 98 falls into the "Win9x" category: 95, 98 and Me are all esntially the same os, with some added features but little or no real difference to the basic os.

So: up to 384mb easily, up to 512 may need a regedit, after that definitely will need registry work!

Note: simultaneous posts- I guess you CAN go over 512mb with the regedit! Highest I've ever gone in 9x is 384.

Last edited:
I don't think a reg edit is necessary for 512MB. Microsoft says in the XP packaging that 9.x only makes use of 512 so you can have more, it just doesn't use it for anything. Useful if u've got a dual boot with a different os that can use it.

Back