• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seagate Hard Drive Settlement Now Online - Damn!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's annoying, because most all HDD manufacturers report it that way and people are not educated enough to realize the difference in size.

i've known this for yrs... even Dell has listed somewhere 1gb = 1000 mb and whatnot... or i recall seeing something like that. it is what it is i guess...

Wow so I geuss HD companies are finally being held accountable for advertising like 160GB and actually providing like 150...

if seagate has to pay, and this stuff is for real, then one would think ALL hdd manufacturer's would have to.

nonetheless, i am sure many ppl would like some cash back, but i honestly think this is stupid. if you lack the technical knowledge, then that's not the company's problem. if you don't lack the knowledge, then you already know what you're paying for...

anyway, i gotta sleep. gnite. :)

I hope Seagate wins and makes this Cho person pay their legal fees. As the last comment on dailytech says, HD manufacturers have for years put 1GB=1000000000bytes on HD packaging. It's a industry standard, ffs. This is like suing an egg farm in winter because the extra-large eggs aren't extra large at that time of year.

you know what, i love free cash but i also love seagate.. So in that fact im not doing any of this for my 12+ seagate drives i have purchased over the past 3 years and I will not screw seagate out of their money.

lets see.. lemme do my math..

9 x ($99x5%) = $4.95 per Drive = $45
1 x ($75x5%) = $3
2 x ($125x5%) = $6.25 = $12.50

so thats around $70 + 12 free software bundles at value of $40 which is $480 ...

i think i did my math right lol

This is like the tech version of the McDonalds hot coffee lawsuit. Just some schmuck looking for a lawsuit and a settlement. Quite frankly I don't see how they falsley advertised, although it is confusing and should be standardized for a long time drives have said '1MB=1000Bytes' or something similar. What irritates me most is the biggest beneficiary is likely...
Pay $1.8 million in attorney’s fees to the plaintiff’s counsel.

Damn lawsuit-happy lawyers and idiot lawsuit-happy ill-informed and ignorant consumers.

Damn lawsuit-happy lawyers and idiot lawsuit-happy ill-informed and ignorant consumers.

That's right... greedy pieces of ____.

Anyway, someone should come out with a mobo or raid card that reads hard drives with the 1000 standard rather than the powers of 2 (1024) standard... then it'll alllll make sense. Their hard drives will gain size back to normal!!

That's right... greedy pieces of ____.

Anyway, someone should come out with a mobo or raid card that reads hard drives with the 1000 standard rather than the powers of 2 (1024) standard... then it'll alllll make sense. Their hard drives will gain size back to normal!!

not really ... because then they also have to take into account that the partition tables and format take some of that "available space" as well and that's relative to the sz of the drive vs the partition table and format run so now your 160gb drive just became, give or take, an effective 145gb drive and someone will only see the effective available space and call foul at that

once again another frivolous lawsuit ... hope seagate beats it

If this is about not having the exact storage that the hard drive is advertized to have...letz sue all the hard drive companies..cause my 2x500 raid has 931gb...i should sue WD then no?..:bday: But i agree in a way...i think 2 500s should add to 1gb not 69gb less than that (o_O)

not really ... because then they also have to take into account that the partition tables and format take some of that "available space" as well and that's relative to the sz of the drive vs the partition table and format run so now your 160gb drive just became, give or take, an effective 145gb drive and someone will only see the effective available space and call foul at that

i was just kidding about someone coming out w/a mobo... :)

If this is about not having the exact storage that the hard drive is advertized to have...letz sue all the hard drive companies..cause my 2x500 raid has 931gb...i should sue WD then no?..:bday: But i agree in a way...i think 2 500s should add to 1gb not 69gb less than that (o_O)
not 69 GB less its the 69GB the feds keep track of what you do that cant be seen :D

For those of you losers who are actually considering doing this, it's 5% OR the software, not AND. And you can only get the 5% if you purchased your drive during 2005 or earlier.

The thing is, Bill Watkins is one of the most stand-up tech CEOs out there. He's refused to sell out to Asian interests despite very good offers, and he's a straight-up, low-key kind of guy.

Yea he's good for some funny straight-shooting quotes. One I remember is (paraphrase) "We aren't out to change the world, our products basically help people store more crap."

I believe you misunderstand that ;)

Your "160gb" drive is 148.8gb actual. You don't lose space by formatting at all, it was 148.8gb to begin with and is 148.8 after formatting.

Phht! There should be a law somewhere that if public opinion is your lawsuit is a joke and the product of a bottom feeding lawyer and plaintiff, you should go to jail AND pay the taxpayers back for all the money and resources you are wasting.

Back