• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pondering Liquid Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Imfrikkinawesom

I have been thinking about getting into liquid cooling but something just didn't sit right with me having highly conductive liquids flowing around inside my fragile electronic equipment. Heat may be electronics worst enemy but I think water is a damn close second. So I started doing some research and came across Toms hardware oil dipping their PC in the very thick vegetable oil. Im not thinking about dipping my computer in oil that would be messy and I understand vegetable oil will burn out a pump in a matter of months. but what about mineral oil? ive seen that its been used for cooling in heaters and such because of its high flashpoint and insulating properties (rather than conductive) and i know from personal experience it is nearly as thin as water so it wouldn't stress a pump to the point of failure. So im curious would it be a viable solution to put in your watercooling system? no need to worry about bacteria or corrosion any thoughts?

Computer in mineral oil LINK

I do not know if it would work well as a water replacement in a pumped sysatem.

Try it and see; set up piping, block radiator, and a pump (no computer) and let it run for a while, check flow with a flow meter thingy, and see how it works. If the oil flows fast enough (usually >80 gal/hr) try it on your system.
if it seems to work attach it to your PC and watch your temps.

Oil = big clean up mess in the end, and more room needed and alot of oil

Water cooling is a triend and tested prven method if the proper precautions are taken, checking the system before hand and such.

my water cooling rig ran for a year plus with out refill, no leans, nothings... (i then sold it and 4 months later the system stopped because the buyer didnt check water levels)

soem reviews show that a good air cooling rig for like $40-$70 is as good as water cooling, but of course you get into pro's and cons

water cooling tends to be more expensive - $150-$300 on new parts for a good set up
Air cooling, cheaper but louder.........

Also, the mineral oils you are talking about aren't nearly as good at conducting heat as water either. In my professional job we occasionally use drilling fluids that are a water-in-oil emulsion and when we use those types of systems, the drilling fluid temps run significant;y higher than when using a straight water based or low oil-in-water emulsion based drilling fluid. Like in the order of 25-40 F higher temps easily. If you stick with deionized or distilled water you will be much better off. Another thing with mineral oils is that they are rough on plastics, so it will still kill your pump much quicker than water would.

Back