• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this a legit ebay email?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I get the feeling this is gonna start a flame war, so don't let it.

Ive bought a few things off of ebay for a friend and had them delivered directly to his house, and of course he payed me back for them. But this morning i got an email about it saying not to buy things for other people. I don't know if this is against the ebay terms of agreement. Normally I would just give it the benefit of the doubt and tell my friend to start his own account, but Im having doubts for two reasons.
1. Its from a gmail account. I suspect that an online company like ebay would have its own mail servers, and its not like they are doing so poorly they have to use another service. Plus its someones name (not gonna post for obvious reasons) and is in no way connected to ebay.
2. There is no "dear ebay user, it has come to our attention that on the x of x month, you had this sent to this address...". its one sentence "People have become aware, do not buy anything for anyone other than yourself on eBay or anywhere else." Sounds more like a threat from some covert organization then an ebay rep reminding me of the terms of agreement.

The only thing that seems semi-professional is the subject is "purchasing".

Sorry if this goes against forum rules. I just need a "yes, its against ebays rules" or "this doesn't seem right" answer.

If it's not from ebay, ignore it. At the end of the day I reckon you're free to purchase items for other people, so long as you accept responsibility for the transaction as it's your account.

It's likely someone trying to wind you up. Hit the delete button and forget about it.

If it's not from ebay, ignore it. At the end of the day I reckon you're free to purchase items for other people, so long as you accept responsibility for the transaction as it's your account.

It's likely someone trying to wind you up. Hit the delete button and forget about it.

Thats what I was thinking, ebay would also leave a message in my ebay account inbox. Just double checking, don't want to go to ebay one day and find out my accounts locked :)

Well, just replied: I find it hard to believe that this is a legit email if you are representing ebay. If you are the person I last bought an item off, please understand I know the person it has been shipped to and has already transferred the funds to my paypal account. I do realize it is not a good idea to buy things to other people, but I also realize if an item gets lost or something by me having it sent to a third person I as the buyer take full responsibility.

Last edited:
Thats what I was thinking, ebay would also leave a message in my ebay account inbox. Just double checking, don't want to go to ebay one day and find out my accounts locked :)

Well, just replied: I find it hard to believe that this is a legit email if you are representing ebay. If you are the person I last bought an item off, please understand I know the person it has been shipped to and has already transferred the funds to my paypal account. I do realize it is not a good idea to buy things to other people, but I also realize if an item gets lost or something by me having it sent to a third person I as the buyer take full responsibility.

No point replying to it really. I'd just ignore, delete and move on. Best not causing a fuss.

Dont give that person the luxury of laughing about the issue by replying to them.

Ebay emails have their own style (which is also copied and used with spammers and scam artists) and their own links.

I wouldn't have replied simply because you are then telling someone that you may have violated the ebay TOS. I'm not sure if it dissalows what you did though :shrug:

remember though some spammers just sent emails to everyone and if they get a response they know they have a live one and that email goes on "the list" (cue dramatic music).

edit: as for the buying stuff for someone else you have to be kidding. As soon as you get the item and pay for it, it is YOURS and you get to do anything you want with it INCLUDING selling it to someone else. I don't think ebay would have a no-competition-clause or anything :beer:

remember though some spammers just sent emails to everyone and if they get a response they know they have a live one and that email goes on "the list" (cue dramatic music).
OH NOES!! THE LIST!!

.......and...so you get more emails? That is what a filter is for ;)

LOL, I just got a reply saying im a minor. My 18th birthday was 8 months ago. He also said he was going to email my parents, when I never mentioned their emails on their site.

LOL, I just got a reply saying im a minor. My 18th birthday was 8 months ago. He also said he was going to email my parents, when I never mentioned their emails on their site.

Any legitimate Ebay messages should be listed on your account page under "messages." If it's not there, you're being spammed. Delete the message and move on as suggested above.

By answering a spam message, you've been owned and are now on a "list" as mentioned. Be prepared for more spam that could come from anywhere.

i e-mailed your mom last night after she sent me some pics. JK.

dude I would bomb the dude with e-mails. it would be kind of funny. that sheet kills me. i'm going to e-mail your parents. YOUR F-ED PAL!

dude I would bomb the dude with e-mails. it would be kind of funny. that sheet kills me. i'm going to e-mail your parents. YOUR F-ED PAL!
I'm sure you can't say that here. That is considered a DOS attack. ;)

Back