• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are these Temps real?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fabulouscoops

This is my first water cooled computer and I am getting fantastic temperature readings. Too good to be true actually, but I like to hear what you all think.

E6750 (475x8) = 3.8 GHz @ 1.45 v
Abit IP35
2x1024 OCZ DDR2 800 2.3 v 5-5-5-15 2T
Thermaltake Armor LCS WC kit.

Room Temperature as measured by thermistor is 18 C.
Idle 15-17 deg C. Readings are higher in higher ambient temperature but not over 20 C even with ambient >30 C.
Load (Orthos blend) 45 deg C (a little higher using CPU intensive small FFTs but not over 50 C.)

I am using Rivatuner 2.05 with the C2D plug-in which reads off the CPU on die Digital Thermal Sensor.
MBM5, Speedfan and CoreTemp did not work. CoreTemp actually crashed Windows reproducibly and the others could not find the sensor.

Since I am new to water cooling I am not sure if this is expected performance or artificially low readings. I was led to believe that low end water is no better than high end air.

So
Question 1. Can idle temps be below ambient temp? I am thinking no, but by how much would you adjust these readings? 5 deg, 10 deg, 20 deg?
Question 2 How high can I boost voltage since I am no where near the thermal limit for this CPU? (I may need to get faster RAM)

Since it's a C2D, the temps are probably 15C too low as the Tjunction has been assigned as 85C when it should be 100C

Question 1. Can idle temps be below ambient temp? I am thinking no, but by how much would you adjust these readings? 5 deg, 10 deg, 20 deg?
Question 2 How high can I boost voltage since I am no where near the thermal limit for this CPU? (I may need to get faster RAM)
1) No. Add 15, it is using the wrong TJunction
2) As long as temps are in check (under 70-75c) your fine. If it starts on fire, you went too far ;)

I think coretemp beta shows right temps 95.4. Otherwise just add 15c to what you get.

I've got a thermistor actually under my 6850 touching the bottom of the cpu. Load temps of coretemp .94 are within 1c of the thermistor. However when not at load coretemp is under quite a bit. When I got 70c on the thermistor at load, coretemp .94 read 71c.

I am running XP Home. I just dled the latest beta and I will try it out. The changelog does say it fixed some BSOD problems.

Edit: Works! Thanks for the update on the new version. Temps are exactly +15 from previous readings.

Back