• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dealextreme.com lies on customs labels.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

imposter

I have ordered from dealextreme two times. Both times i bought iPod Noise Isolation Earbuds for 2 dollars. Each time i have ordered, they have shipped from Hong Kong, China. They arriabled pretty quickly, and each time i look on the custom labels, i see they lied. They i have stated, that it is a LED Flash light, and it was a gift. I find pretty disappointing for a company to lie like that. I'm not sure if this is a normal thing for most out of the country venders. But i believe this is a serious offense. I mean of course i like the cheap prices for headphones, but i think this should be fowarded to the goverment and not allow such abuse to occur.

I shall get a picture of this once i find my camera.

Let me know what you think.

~Imp~

One time could be a mistake, two times less chance of a mistake. I wonder if they are trying to bypass some kind of import tax or security check.

May be a good idea to inform someone about it. Have no idea which agency you would contact though.

One time could be a mistake, two times less chance of a mistake.
Huh? Statistically you have the same chance of receiving an incorrect order, doesn't matter the second time, third time or thousandth time. :eh?:

Huh? Statistically you have the same chance of receiving an incorrect order, doesn't matter the second time, third time or thousandth time. :eh?:

but if it happens both times BOTH times the condition of error must be met. Furthermore the chance of the same exact error happening again twice IN A ROW starts adding up to a improbable "error" and being more a "fib"

so was it a LED light or iPod Noise Isolation Earbuds. i have order stuff from them (takes 4-6 weeks to get here) and they have always got it right. even when they ran out of stuff they e-mailed me and gave me a refund. there customer service has always been A++ for me.

You misread what he said. He said the label on the box said led flashlight as gift, not that he received led flashlights.

They lied on the label as to what was in the package

You misread what he said. He said the label on the box said led flashlight as gift, not that he received led flashlights.

They lied on the label as to what was in the package
OH, ok, I got it.

Can I still have the flashlight? :eh?:

They do the gift portion to get around the ludicrous export/import tax IIRC.

My LED vendor says gift and puts a card in the box everytime I order from them. Its amusing when you get 10 boxes (by chance all the orders were shipped seperately but at the same time) that all say gift and each has a card attached.

The mislabeling may be to avoid some extra taxation as well. If you are getting what you ordered, why complain? You are paying 2 bucks for some headphones and expecting the world.

They do the gift portion to get around the ludicrous export/import tax IIRC.

My LED vendor says gift and puts a card in the box everytime I order from them. Its amusing when you get 10 boxes (by chance all the orders were shipped seperately but at the same time) that all say gift and each has a card attached.

The mislabeling may be to avoid some extra taxation as well. If you are getting what you ordered, why complain? You are paying 2 bucks for some headphones and expecting the world.

No i know exactly what i am paying for. Im just saying, they are lying to get around import tax. I just think this is an issue that should be addressed.

Excuse me if i didn't make it clear, I wrote it in first period class when i was still sleepy.

Thideras, Ill go through my storage and see if i can find a LED Flash light for you. lol.

No i know exactly what i am paying for. Im just saying, they are lying to get around import tax. I just think this is an issue that should be addressed.

Excuse me if i didn't make it clear, I wrote it in first period class when i was still sleepy.

Thideras, Ill go through my storage and see if i can find a LED Flash light for you. lol.
Well, who is going to enforce it? I don't believe the US has any control over it...

And YAY, cause the one I have now sucks....doesn't always work. >.>

Who cares if theyre lying to get around import/export laws? Do you know what their laws are? Do you know how much they get taxed on certain items? Me either.
Why does it matter what the box reads if you pay for something, and get that something? Especially if you get it cheap.

I have ordered from dealextreme two times. Both times i bought iPod Noise Isolation Earbuds for 2 dollars. Each time i have ordered, they have shipped from Hong Kong, China. They arriabled pretty quickly, and each time i look on the custom labels, i see they lied. They i have stated, that it is a LED Flash light, and it was a gift. I find pretty disappointing for a company to lie like that. I'm not sure if this is a normal thing for most out of the country venders. But i believe this is a serious offense. I mean of course i like the cheap prices for headphones, but i think this should be fowarded to the goverment and not allow such abuse to occur.

I shall get a picture of this once i find my camera.

Let me know what you think.

~Imp~

If you're keeping them, then you have no right to complain.

Otherwise, return them with your reason for doing so. Be sure to mark your package correctly and pay the border tax, in full.

...but that's just what I think.

I think you should report it to whatever government agency takes care of import/export taxes.

Doesnt matter if you keep it or not that has nothing to do with it.

They are skirting around a tax that they should be paying. More taxes China companies pay the better it is for the US economy.

I think when I use to order Airsoft guns (cheaper from Hong Kong than US) that had trademarks like COLT on them...they would put Toy/Gift on the boxes as well.

Wait, you got LED flashlights? I'll take one!! :D

I buy from DX and Kaidomain all the time, a few factoids

Kaidomain has mostly the same items, they were partners at Fifthunit and then they had a following out, so they each opened a new shop

Kaidomain seems to ship much quicker

Both have excellent support and some neat items, especially some of the LED light.

Well, who is going to enforce it? I don't believe the US has any control over it...

And YAY, cause the one I have now sucks....doesn't always work. >.>

Actually they probably listed the ipod headphons as a LED flashlight not to get away from taxes (even though they wrote gift which is wrong, but the ipod buds may have issues entering customs as it may be construed as counterfeit. But US customs is supposed to enforce these sort of things)

PS, Here's a few lights I got from Kaidomain and DX.

The VB-16 (second from right) and the Cree projection(far right) are awesome. By far my favorite two LED I've bought from them.

The thrower is not a house flashlight and best for outdoors, it has great runtime and the spot is tight and throws a tight beam a hell of a good distance. The VB-16 is a great all around light, perhaps the best light they sell for that purpose. Matter of fact, I'm getting another Vb-16 for my car. The little grey one on the far left has been heavily modded and has my invention in it which is a secret until I have them for sale. The light puts out about 200+ lumens and it goes in my gun holster's mag pouch instead of a spare magazine. I can blind em with the light and hit em over the head with the gun instead of shooting them :beer:

The pic is deceiving, these lights are fairly small, I think the longest light pictured is 7" My clear ruler for size comparison didn't work out well :)

Attachments

• Dx and Kaidomain LEDs 004.jpg
    Dx and Kaidomain LEDs 004.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 415
Actually they probably listed the ipod headphons as a LED flashlight not to get away from taxes (even though they wrote gift which is wrong, but the ipod buds may have issues entering customs as it may be construed as counterfeit. But US customs is supposed to enforce these sort of things)

Thats exactly right... If they wrote iPod anything on the box it better be an approved Apple Computer product... I had something similar happen to me and it almost cost me $5k.

YES! i was hopping SSS would reply to the thread. (/me giggles inside his head) actually the only reason why i posted this, was because SSS had reply to some thread about a LED flash light from dealextreme.com, and i thought he would have been shocked to find out that they lied on customs label. Btw, sam, what did they put on your customs label?

Jon, keeping them is not the issue, I came here to find out what would be a correct way in reporting them. (once again should have mentioned it, yet i wrote it while i was in my first period class and i was 1/2 sleeping. ) Though you are right, If i do keep them, I should not complain, i agree with you on that. Though 2 bucks, gift or not, i wouldn't really have to pay anything lol. But if it comes down to it, and i do write a formal complaint, I will go a head and send them back, or trash them if they refuse to accept.
Tyranos, They could have easily made it 50c-1 dollar more expensive, and have that taken care of, but as sam said, it might not be the money end, more counterfeit end..

off topic, Sam do you have any pictures of those bad boys in action? i am in the need of a flash light, and something thats small and compact for my bag or pocket would be nice. Perhaps we shall settle this via pm?.

Thanks interesting conversation lets keep it going! :soda:

~imp~

off topic, Sam do you have any pictures of those bad boys in action? i am in the need of a flash light, and something thats small and compact for my bag or pocket would be nice. Perhaps we shall settle this via pm?.

Thanks interesting conversation lets keep it going! :soda:

~imp~

My item were listed as LED Light and parts. I dont recall seeing gift on any of the customs slips, but I'll look next time I order from DX.

PS How small is your bag? If I were you, I'd get the VB-16 with Free EMS 3-5 day delivery, While not the cheapest, it's features and function make it worth the $34.99 shipped price, and that includes EMS which is $15+ just for that.

These are other choices others seem to like, just the VB 16 is bright and has forward control buttons.

:beer: Ok, now a joke.... :

How many overclockers does it take to open a VV-16's cap that most people couldn't open?

One. But the overclocker needs to know the old heatink freezer trick :santa:

Back