• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone tried the Swiftech MCR120?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Welcome to O/C Forums! :welcome:

Swiftech parts are top notch. The MCR120 is a single 120mm rad: Swiftech's Linky

Pair it up with a panaflo 120mm fan, a MCP-655 pump and a Storm/Apogee waterblock and you have yourself a formidable cooling system for just about any cpu. If you add a Gpu waterblock it'll still do the job very nicely.

You'd need to push some decent CFM to be able to include a GPU in that loop, or any serious CPU overclock.

Thanks for the welcome. Ya I screwed that up. I was looking at the rad/res combo MCR-120 here. Sounds interesting.

http://www.jab-tech.com/Swiftech-MCR120-Res-Heat-Exchanger-Rad-and-Res-Combo-pr-3955.html

Yeah, that one saves you the addition of a separate rez. You install it upside down with the rez cap facing up. Never personally used one, but seen ppl with them. Down side is it's hard to tell when it's completely bled and free of air bubbles, plus you have to constantly remove the cap to be sure it's full.

You'd need to push some decent CFM to be able to include a GPU in that loop, or any serious CPU overclock.

Not nesessarily. I had a D-TEK Pro core with 2 panaflos in push/pull config and i had a DD Maze4 Cpu & Gpu in the loop. Running a P4 3.2E and an X800XTPE both oc'ed to the hilt. Cpu temps never went past 43c loaded . I think I may still have a pic of that old setup somewhere.

Despite what others may say, it will be fine for overclocking your quad core. If you add a GPU block into the loop, that's a different story.

There are people over at XS who have dedicated loops with PA120.3s just for their Quads... somehow I dont think they would bother if a single MCR120 would be enough.

I was actually thinking of just using it for a GPU only loop. I have a monster Panaflo high output fan I would use on it. I have a regular Swiftech 120 rad that I was planning on using, but since I have to wait on an adapter for the MCW60 to fit on my 8800gts I thought maybe I would try this rad res combo, but the non clear aspect may be annoying like Nebulous pointed out.

Despite what others may say, it will be fine for overclocking your quad core. If you add a GPU block into the loop, that's a different story.

You can cool a CPU with a single 120 rad with high cfms, but your temps are going to stink and if you want to overclock, it is going to hurt your overclock. The practical way to go is to always buy more rad than you need. There is no way I could recommend anything less than a dual rad or a PA160.

Black Ice and Swiftech 120.2 radiators (ignoring the BI-GT series and Cross Flow) are cheap enough that you may as well get one of those instead of a single 120mm rad. IIRC a BI Pro 120.2 goes for like $40 these days. Cheaper than that is a Bonneville heatercore like I run :).

Black Ice and Swiftech 120.2 radiators (ignoring the BI-GT series and Cross Flow) are cheap enough that you may as well get one of those instead of a single 120mm rad. IIRC a BI Pro 120.2 goes for like $40 these days. Cheaper than that is a Bonneville heatercore like I run :).

Thats true. why spend the money on another 120 when the 120.2's are that close in price. Ill just use the one I have and see how it works out. Thanks for the help all!

Back