• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How risky is it to buy open box mobos off of Newegg

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I am pretty sure they have been tested so its probobly the same risk as buying one from a member of our forums here.

My last one from Newegg came with the mobo in an anti-static bag, no other contents in the box.

Missing:
I/O shield
Driver CD
IDE cables

true, a lot do come like that, but some people actually will get a full retail box with pretty much everything in it.

i bought my ds3 open box came just motherboard and i just found out 1 ram slot is faulty lol but i dont mind since im going to probably get a new board later on :)

but i had goodluck with other open box stuff just not motherboards lol

I am looking a buying a new mother board off of newegg and was just wondering how risky it is to buy open box.

The biggest risk is that if it's broken, you have to send it back to Newegg. So figure in the cost of shipping it back to Newegg in your price calculations.

With that said, I've bought a few refurb mobos from Newegg and only had a problem once, but what they did surprised me, they received the RMA and I requested another one sent rather than a refund, and they sent a new sealed mobo for replacement.

ive ordered a bunch of open box asus mbs from newegg.mine have always been just the mb in a white rma box,complete with rma# from asus.so if you dont need the io panel or accessories its a great way to save a nice amount of cash.

I've ordered about 8-10 I can recall. Two were mobo only, the rest were varying degrees of a retail order. I have had only one that was completely defective, and if I remember correctly, the only cost to me was the return shipping. As I often make my own I/O plates out of plastic or sheet metal, if one is not included, that's not a problem, and you can always DL drivers. With Newegg, at least, you are never left out in the cold with bad parts.

The only open box motherboard I've bought from newegg died less then 24 hours after receiving it. It came in the full retail box with everything but the i/o plate, newegg issued me a refund with no hassles.

I've bought a few open box video cards from them and with the exception of one they've all been solid. I'd say it's a safe gamble, the worst that can happen is you get one that is broken and you have to send it back.

I bought an open box mobo and when i got it everything was brand new in sealed plastics never been touched.

Back