• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Target Treated 2 Friends And I Like Criminals

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nathan0490

Conroe Hoe
I just emailed Target Corporate.

Here is the screenshot, should cover the base of what happened;

targetcorporatecomplainqi6.png

So she threatened you, and the order is against HER but YOU were asked to leave?

That's a civil rights thing, because they

1) improperly overstepped their legal rights in enforcing the court order (the cops should have been called, but they know if they did SHE would have been forced to leave and/or the complaint against you immediately dismissed)

2) target doesn't own starbucks, and starbucks likely pays rent so it's not necessarily a clear case of 'it's our property, leave'. Think of it as one of your friend's landlords doesn't like visitors and tells your friend no one (other than them) can be on the property. Unless that's specified in the lease/rental agreement there's no grounds for that action without the landlord taking legal action and showing cause for the restraining order.

What happened here is a power hungry loss prevention employee bullied you.

I'm sure an ambulance chasing attorney could find a couple hundred thousand in civil penalties in this, assuming I have the facts straight. We as citizens have certain rights regardless of where we happen to be standing at a particular moment in time. People who do not understand those rights often fall victim (as you did here) to being bullied into actions they do not need to take (in this case removing yourself when it should have been the other way around).

I should note that I'm not an attorney and what I say is based on limited civil trial experience and education. I also find I'm radical in the way of using law against those who most often wield it as their weapon.

Last edited:
What happened here is a power hungry loss prevention employee bullied you.
QFT.

OP: Instead of using a possible dead solution (their website), you should call the head manager for the location. That will get you farther faster ;)

Fire up your engines and talk to a lawyer to prepare for any eventuality. If possible, DEMAND an apology in writing from Target.

Nuclear Options:
------------
Legal action.
Letter to your local newspaper.

Good luck man. Rent-a-cops suck...

Fire up your engines and talk to a lawyer to prepare for any eventuality. If possible, DEMAND an apology in writing from Target.

Nuclear Options:
------------
Legal action.
Letter to your local newspaper.

Good luck man. Rent-a-cops suck...
What is the mentality behind this. They obviously don't care about the customer, that will get across.

No reason to get legal with them, that is way over-the-top ;)

That is why I said "Nuclear Option" and "demand an apology" not "demand money". :)

That is why I said "Nuclear Option" and "demand an apology" not "demand money". :)
Maybe this is just me, but I for sure wouldn't feel better/satisfied with an apology. I'm not saying they need to do more, but that is...IDK...ridiculous? Not like it helps the situation.

They should INSTEAD "talk" to the employees who were involved. That is a much better solution. ;)

I know about the "nuclear option" you posted, but I wouldn't even consider it.

wow, thats stupid..im rarely at target as it is looks like ill be avoiding them form here on out too..deffinetly take some legal action or call corp.

FYI the employee cant just leave the store when the person who has the restraining order shows up. The person who initiated the restraining order unfortunately has to be cognizant of the fact of where the other person works and has to respect that persons ability to live a life within the bounds of the OOP(order of protection).

You cant find out where the person works and then go in and scream bloody murder if that person walks in.

The person who has the OOP placed on them should have called the police and had THEM make the judgement call, the store security has NO enforcement ability especially pertaining to COURT ORDERS.

IANAL-YMMV.

FWW ... i no longer shop at target ... for several reasons and its been 5+ years ... the biggest is their poor treatment/cs ... i personally dont like to be treated like or made to feel like criminal when i return items w/ receipt ... i also really despise having the very same rep whom i bought an item from 48hrs before stand in front of me and tell me to my face that they dont and never have carried that very item im trying to return w/ receipt and her emp# on it

now 1 time ok, a mistake ... however, aparantly this is store policy dealing w/ returns, as about 2 months later they put my wife thru the same bs ... she just about left the store crying and beleive me when i say they are lucky she didnt tear down 1/2 the store on her way out ... because thats more her style

i will NEVER shop at a target or even enter thier store again ... and i told my step uncle the very same ... he happens to be a very high lvl exec for the company ... apparantly he didnt care enough to resolve these issues or even look into it

Amazing i have never had a problem in Target, But just like any other store i am sure it happens. In the situation you were in is hard to go either way, But me being me i would of told the rental cop to go call the cops. I never listen to them most of them think there in a place of authority with some power, so they act like butt heads. Now i know this tactic is not for everyone and i would really not even recommend for anyone to do it.

You just got to way your options. And in the long run i think you did the right thing. Better to just shut up and walk away as it could get pretty nasty. Best thing to keep in mind is a guard at a store is not usually an actually peace officer. Also if you know the person you have the order on works there it is not even worth going in, someone in the end is going to have a problem.

Could be, but then again isn't that considered private property?

I was never a big Target shopper anyway, I prefer Wal-Mart as my el cheapo buy everything store.

One of my good friends use to work at Target about 4 years ago, it really is the same old same old retail environment bull**** drama. Also they are strongly anti-union and like to preach about it I guess, at least that is what my buddy said. I know some could care less or are anti-union, but to some it means a lot.

I wouldn't go for legal action, what will you get out of it really, and at what cost to you?

Talk to whoever is in control of that store and discuss that with them. To me it really sounds like your ex has made some friends where she works, she spotted you and told them that she had a restraining order against you just to give you trouble. If you talk to whoever runs the store and explain this I'm sure things will get figured out, if he doesn't help you then I believe going to a local newspaper would be a good idea.

Just got this email:

Dear Nathan,

Thanks for contacting Target Corporation regarding your recent experience in the Phoenix Spectrum Super Target store. We're always looking for ways to make the Target shopping experience better for every guest. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't receive the type of service you expect at Target.

At Target we expect every team member to treat all of our guests in a knowledgeable and professional manner. The attitude and behavior you describe aren't consistent with our guest service philosophy. I have contacted the store to share your comments and concerns with the Store Training Lead for further review with the staff.

We appreciate the time you have taken to personally bring this matter to our attention and hope this apology will convey how sincerely we regret having disappointed you.

Thanks for shopping with us. I hope we'll see you again soon at Target.

Sincerely,

Claudia
Target Guest Relations
www.target.com

Legal action is entirely possible, in so many ways.

But honestly, It wouldn't be worth the hassle financially.

Defenitely nail their *** to the wall if you get the chance though, **** like this will only escalate with time if it's allowed to continue.

From that email, it looks like Corporate just overrode the store's "don't come back".

From that email, it looks like Corporate just overrode the store's "don't come back".

WOW Good point! That's not to say that I want to go back, but still nice job.

Although it really is a generic response. I'm thinking about responding directly to this Claudia person informing her that I am considering options for sharing my story with local media outlets(FOX 10, AZ Republic Newspaper, etc).

Last edited:
Back