• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone tried these?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Strages

I was browsing through fans on Heatsink Factory a few minutes ago and I found these:
http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/scythe-slip-stream-120mm-fan-sy1225sl12sh.html

I about fell out of my chair in amazement - 110cfm at 37dBa!?!?

My experience is yelling "bull****," but I suppose it could be true as it's a 9-blade design. Anyhow, anyone know anything about these?? How are they pressure wise? There has to be some kind of catch with these fans. Otherwise, why would anyone buy anything else???

There is no way that is true, the "whooshing" from the air would be louder than 37 db.

I'm calling BS.

EDIT: AND at 1900rpm???? NO WAY. My Ultra High speed panaflo's did 108 at....mid 40's with well over 2-3k rpms.

Well, of course it would, but the "whoosing" is just an added noise factor - starting at 45dBa and adding "whoosing" is going to be a lot louder than 37dBa and adding whoosing. But I agree that something else has to be going on here.

Nowdays axial fan technology is very matured and settled.

Any fan's spec that looks or sounds too good to be true should be treated with grain of salt.

Any fan's spec that looks or sounds too good to be true should be treated with grain of salt.
grain? GRAIN??? That's it??????

large-salt-pile.jpg

That much salt....:D

Nowdays axial fan technology is very matured and settled.

I'm curious about it because it's a 9-blade design. If it were a traditional 4-5 blade then I wouldn't give a second thought - but it's 9. I don't know how much that would affect airflow. Physics tells me that it should produce more airflow (as it's grabbing more air more efficiently with so many blades), but I think that it would produce less pressure because there is less time to accelerate the air through the blades (it's a 25mm), which is what matters for radiators.

I'm not freaking out and buying 100 of these. I'm just curious to find out if anyone's used them to report on how they are. I'd like to know if it's all bull or if they really are worth looking into - but I like my Panaflo's too much :).

I'm curious about it because it's a 9-blade design. If it were a traditional 4-5 blade then I wouldn't give a second thought - but it's 9. I don't know how much that would affect airflow. Physics tells me that it should produce more airflow (as it's grabbing more air more efficiently with so many blades), but I think that it would produce less pressure because there is less time to accelerate the air through the blades (it's a 25mm), which is what matters for radiators.

I'm not freaking out and buying 100 of these. I'm just curious to find out if anyone's used them to report on how they are. I'd like to know if it's all bull or if they really are worth looking into - but I like my Panaflo's too much :).
You forgot one thing:

They didn't just add blades, they reduced the size of the blades (from the 4-5 fin design) and then just added more of them :beer:

My own conclusion on 7 vs 9 blades fan -> HERE ;)

Edit : Those are 38mm fans, thicker means higher pressure.

I believe they are as stated. Every site that has them list those specs.

Fan technology has come a fair way recently with fluid ball bearings and the smaller blades, which btw reduce the dba.

My own conclusion on 7 vs 9 blades fan -> HERE ;)

Edit : Those are 38mm fans, thicker means higher pressure.

You should test the 9 blade against a Sunon 7 blade not a Panaflow.

I believe they are as stated. Every site that has them list those specs.
That is because no site that sells them tests the specs for validity.

They just put on their site what the manufacturer tells them.

That is because no site that sells them tests the specs for validity.

They just put on their site what the manufacturer tells them.

Scythe is a reputable company afaik and I dont think they would put out incorrect data like that.

Buy one and test it if you dont believe it..

Buy one and test it if you dont believe it..
I would absolutely love to!! :D

But sadly I do not have the proper equipment to test it.

Also...each person who tests the product tests it differently. It says x db. At what range? Was it 3cm? Or 5 ft? Or 30 ft?

They never say. Their numbers may be right, but they can twist numbers like I did above ;)

I am not saying that Scythe is a bad company at all, but there is no way those numbers are right without someone twisting them to sound good :beer:

Example: "The Q6600 can run at 4.8ghz"

Under what conditions? Cooled with liquid nitrogen?

They don't give us all the info.

I would absolutely love to!! :D

But sadly I do not have the proper equipment to test it.

Also...each person who tests the product tests it differently. It says x db. At what range? Was it 3cm? Or 5 ft? Or 30 ft?

They never say. Their numbers may be right, but they can twist numbers like I did above ;)

I am not saying that Scythe is a bad company at all, but there is no way those numbers are right without someone twisting them to sound good :beer:

Example: "The Q6600 can run at 4.8ghz"

Under what conditions? Cooled with liquid nitrogen?

They don't give us all the info.

Install it in your case, get a dba meter from Radio shack and test the dba at different distances.

Not only range but ambient noise as well.

There are other problems with fans and noise. Basically moving air will creates noise and can not be avoided. Most folks now look at fans' cfm and noise level and not much often on pressure. Low pressure, high cfm, low noise fan might be good for a case fan but it will poor choice for a heatsink or radiator. Also noise will be different.

Install it in your case, get a dba meter from Radio shack and test the dba at different distances.
Ok, you add even more variables with it installed. Is the flow restricted or wide open?

Depends on how much and how accurate the DBA testers are. ;)

If it is 30+ just for the tester, that is hardly worth the money to prove it to someone online. :beer:

No offense.:soda:

Back