• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

name brand or generic DDR RAM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zippityzoom

Hi,

Still kinda a newbie to the O/C game. I'm making the move to DDR and I was wondering if it makes a diff. to use Crucial RAM or some other brand like Samsung or even generic DDR?

Thanks to all the knowledge in advance,

zz

I run all micron cheapo stuff (sdram and ddr) and get some pretty good ocs. But I do have a couple of sticks that won't oc well at all: kind of luck-of-the-draw with generic. Then again I have heard of people with Quality stuff (Crucial, Mushkin, Corsair) that don't do any better. I think you are more likely to get good results with the "name" brands, but luck still seems a factor.

as stated by rogerdugans luck is a definite factor. however, your chances are much better w/ overclocking if you go brand name, get crucial; its cheap and is supposedly the best. one bit of luck when i had my a7v133 mobo, my micron 128mb of cas3 ram, almost kept up with my cas2 256mb crucial stick of ram. i had reached 148@cas2 i think it was.

him: "so, wheres your car?"
me: " i dont have one"
him: "why not?"
me : " i bought a computer instead"

LOL love your quote...sounds just like me. Worked the last 2 summers wishing to get a car once I get my license (January, I was was a slacker and got my permit late) but all that money has gone to upgrades, new computer, and pyrotechnics.

Back