• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need advice on cooling for my 165 opty

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

omniskillz

greetings and salutations my prestigious ocforum members,

i come to u with a humble request... please help me figure out the most efficient way to cool my cpu.

my spec is my sig.

brief history, i did remove the ihs, but sadly my tec cooler did not touch the cpu, so i put as5 on the cpu and put the ihs back on.. without any adhesives ( just tried to keep it straight ) when i put it back on.

at one time i was able to clock it easily at 2.9ghz but recently.. few months now i had to throttle my oc back because i was getting random reboots.
using coretemp.. on load i was reaching 70 degrees. idle 44. before idle was 40 and load was 60.

im thinkin of buying a cheap watercooler just for the cpu here for 150 bucks.
http://www.petrastechshop.com/pecoli.html

or should i do some manuvering and sand the socket holes larger to get my tec to make contact with the cpu? which seems like hard work with a high probability of failure...

so i come to u, ocforum members. what shall i do?
please educate me and enlighten me.
if u know of cheaper solutions by all means, cause i am a poor man :)
thank u.

Hey,
buy a swiftech kit, they use swiftech MCR radiators and the Apogee GT waterblock which are both very good. I use the Apogee GT to cool my Opty165 and it does a good job. You wont be able to water cool too cheaply, any real cheap water cooling is not as good as high end air coolers for much less.

Hey,
buy a swiftech kit, they use swiftech MCR radiators and the Apogee GT waterblock which are both very good. I use the Apogee GT to cool my Opty165 and it does a good job. You wont be able to water cool too cheaply, any real cheap water cooling is not as good as high end air coolers for much less.

whats ur temps with ur cooling? also i have my computer pretty much out in the open, it sits on a wooden board on a table. can i just rig a watercooling kit right on, or does it have to be in a case?

Last edited:
yeh i remember what your case looks like, mine is in a seperate unit outside of my case. Set it up inside or outside, it doesnt matter. As long as you have somewhere safe to place your radiator, pump and reservoir then you can set it up as you wish. I doubt you'll get it all in the case, i couldnt and mine is server size

PS: I load in the 40s at my settings below

I had an external setup wayy back. My pc in a case and the tubing ran from out the back of the case into another smaller enclosure that held my pump, rad and res. Worked pretty good for that time.

There's alot of members here that run caseless that are H20'ed. Just as LeAd_Poisoning mentioned, as long as you place the rad, pump and res in a safe spot where you won't knock into it or anything that can be dangerous, then you're good to go.

yeh i remember what your case looks like, mine is in a seperate unit outside of my case. Set it up inside or outside, it doesnt matter. As long as you have somewhere safe to place your radiator, pump and reservoir then you can set it up as you wish. I doubt you'll get it all in the case, i couldnt and mine is server size

PS: I load in the 40s at my settings below

i noticed in the kit they dont have a resorvoire and u do.. what is its function? should i buy one?

mine is a full custom build. The reservoir is handy to top up the system with, its very difficult to do this without a reservoir. It is essentially useful as a collection point for air bubbles, if placed in the right position in the loop your system will self-purge air bubbles.

mine is a full custom build. The reservoir is handy to top up the system with, its very difficult to do this without a reservoir. It is essentially useful as a collection point for air bubbles, if placed in the right position in the loop your system will self-purge air bubbles.

so get the swiftech kit for 220 and this? http://www.petrastechshop.com/swmchire.html
would i need to order more tubes and fittings or would this also? funny thing is none of their kits have a reservoir even the elite ones.

Mines a reli cheap water cooling system and as you can sort ov see its outside my case (can see 120mm Fan) the tubing runs threw a PCI plate with the power cables works good for me as i cant get it in all inside my case, i would say get the swift kit im upgrading mine to a swift soon :p

Picture002.jpg

You would probably get the best performance by running you chip naked under a Swiftech Storm. They do not work that well with the IHS installed but a naked core they are very good. They are not made anymore but you can usually find them in the classifieds for ~$30. I can also recommend a res. I just put together my first system and took it back apart after about an hour until I can get a res. It was almost impossible to bleed the system and I was not satisfied with the amount of coolant I could hold in my T-line.

one like mine would work well for you just save some money by running it no fans till you save like 20 bucks then you can get it for around 160.

You have over 100 posts. Go on down to the classifieds, you can get some used parts and get a very effective watercooling setup for about $100- $150 if you look around.

Not any more he doesn't. A Hotmail email address doesn't cut it when you are using Comcast to connect to the forums. Not if he wants to buy or sell in these Classifieds at least.

Back