• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

aluminum on aluminum action =/= antifreeze?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pro*Banshee

so I'm planning to retrofit ten CREE high power LED engines into the foglights

http://www.besthongkong.com/product_info.php?products_id=452

These things at 1000mA can reach a blistering 70c in under ten seconds, so that nessitates some air cooling, at least. These LEDs can be driven pretty hard, producing 220 lumens at 1 amp, or approximatley 1100 lumens per side.

I have approximatley a 2x6" area to work in for the foglights, and I wanted to put perhaps three 2x2" peltiers on there to keep the temperature below 20c if I could. Copper is getting really expensive, so I would machine my blocks from aluminum.

Would I need to run antifreeze in my loop if I also use an aluminum heatercore? I figure aluminum on aluminum action won't lead to corrosion since they're both the same metal, am I right?

If this little experiment works, it could potentially pave the way for an LED headlight retrofit for my car, instead of just fogs

A COMPLETELY Al loop will not yield any corrosion with just water ;)

Make sure that the heatercore is in fact not copper, otherwise you will have issues down the road.

Back