• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chiefvalue customers, check your CC statements

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

palesicklydwarf

I placed an order in early October at Chiefvalue and used a CC I haven't used online in several months (and rarely use locally either). Lo and behold three days later I get two unauthorized charges for Skype ($10 and $18) on the card. I am drafting a letter to dispute the charges and thought I would let anyone that has bought from Chiefvalue recently know that they should check their CC statements for unauthorized charges. My experience may be unique though.

I'm wondering if it is a company issue or an employee issue....regardless, I won't be shopping there ;)

Thanks for the info :D

I don't know how they got the CC number either (I chose not to keep it on file with them). I have scanned for trojans, etc. on my PC and didn't find anything. No other strange charges have shown up on any of my other 3 cards that I use more regularly to buy things online at several other sites. So, IMO, it has to be a Chiefvalue issue. I have never even used Skype or been to their website either.

Chiefvalue is one of Newegg's other companies. I know because I have received a Newegg sales flyer in a package from them before.

I don't know how they got the CC number either (I chose not to keep it on file with them). I have scanned for trojans, etc. on my PC and didn't find anything. No other strange charges have shown up on any of my other 3 cards that I use more regularly to buy things online at several other sites. So, IMO, it has to be a Chiefvalue issue. I have never even used Skype or been to their website either.
Don't eliminate the possibility that an employee could have done it ;)

Don't eliminate the possibility that an employee could have done it ;)

Yeah, that is a possibility and I sort of figured it might be a unique experience that affects me and not others. The only good thing is that I have that particular CC mostly maxed out (not much of a credit limit on it either, hence the very occasional use :) ).

If it had been a single charge I might have chalked it up to some kind of promotion that I failed to opt out of during checkout like newegg did at one time with pc magazine online subscriptions.

It's one reason I use my Citibank card with a virtual card number (limited $$$ and expiration date) every time I shop online.

Back