• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pump power rating

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GáTê©rÀ$Hë®

hey everyone!

i am planning on upgrading my water cooling to reduce the amount of noise
it is producing.

currently i have:
mcp350 (10w)
bix 2
mcw6002 cpu block
mcw60 vga block
along with a couple of sunon fans

is the pump strong enough if i add another radiator?
thinking of getting black ice gt 240.

ill use the bix2 as a passive rad n black ice gt as active.

thanks!

The pump would still be OK.

However, I would reconsider adding a second radiator. I doubt that you would get lower temps. If anything, the loss of pressure may increase temperatures, and the computer wouldn't be any quieter, as the fans would still be a-spinning. If I were you I would simply replace the radiator, not add another.

Better to sell current radiator & replace with a larger radiator designed specifically for use with lownoise fans (PA120.3 or MCR320 - both outperform HWLabs rads with lownoise fans)

thanks for the replies.

im quite happy with the temps, its just the sunon fans r noisy.

ill add black ice gt 240 with noctua fans n use the bix2 as a passive radiator.
in theory it should be quieter.

the problem with 320 rad is the size, it wont fit inside my case.

If your heatload is higher than the cooling provided by the passive rad and the active rad with noctuas, you'll saturate the radiators and temps will go up, not down... I fear you'll have far too little airflow to remove the heatload you're producing. The passive rad won't do anything for cooling - the heat will be dumped into the fins, but with no airflow to remove that heat it'll just end up getting soaked back into the water again - common issue with BIX rads and too little / no airflow. This will also happen on the active GTS240 rad if the airflow isn't enough to cool the heatload...

That's why performance drops away with flowrate for the GTS240 on the following graph... increased liq flowrate means more heat is dumped into the rads' fins, but the airflow given with anything less than Panaflos at 7v is too low to remove that heat from the fins and it goes back into the coolant - the radiator acts as a heater as it's saturated with heat and can't get rid of it, and thus it detracts from performance. You're using completely the wong radiators for what you want to do...

g3.png

GáTê©rÀ$Hë®;5327536 said:
thanks for the replies.

im quite happy with the temps, its just the sunon fans r noisy.

ill add black ice gt 240 with noctua fans n use the bix2 as a passive radiator.
in theory it should be quieter.

the problem with 320 rad is the size, it wont fit inside my case.

And two dual rads will? The Swiftech MCR rads perform better than the HWlabs radiators. It is a lot easier to go with one triple rad than to try to find room for two double rads and the related tubing. Yate loons fans are great for the money and are very, very quiet and undervolt well. Scythe S-flex fans are also very quiet and undervolt well but cost quite a bit more.

The ultimate in quiet is a PA120.3 with undervolted yate loons, but that costs a price premium and isn't worth the price you pay for the rad unless you have the money to spend and want the best. Having said that, I am very pleased with my PA120.3 and 3 yates at 4v each which results in almost no noise and yet cools whatever I want.

Back