• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cleaning water blocks.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Champagne! Or an expensive vodka maybe.
:eh?:

You'd need a higher concentration of alcohol than whats in champagne, vodka would work.

I use ketchup to clean my copper blocks, works similar to vinegar but doesnt seem to let the copper oxidise as easily after. :)

I use acetone, very strong and works well. It works even better if you once over with 2000 grain to get the old layer of copper off, then clean with acetone, then install right quick so it doesn't oxidise any...

CLR (Calcium Lime Rust) + Toothbrush. Rinse with distilled after. For the insides only.

For the base... I just lap it clean. :p

Well I've been using Tarn-X for ages and after a good scrubbing with it, I flush it with hot water, then alcohol, then soapy water, followed by plain cold water.

Never had any problems and the blocks come out practically new. I'm sure ppl that will use any kind of cleaning agent on their blocks will be smart enough to throughly wash it out completely before installing. Of course they read the instructions as well.

Isopropyl Alcohol. Greater than 90%. Available at Longs Drugs for under a dollar.

I live by this stuff! Had some lying around from model kit building when I was trying to apply some coollaboratory liquid silver thermal paste on my 7900GT. Ended up sh0ot a nice long line across my entire 7900GT :(

Grabbed the Isopropyl and ear buds and everything worked out fine.

JM

"Bartender's Keeper" does a good job with a toothbrush.

Don't forget that its an abrasive cleaner afaik.

http://www.alconox.com/
That company creates, by far, the best products I have seen for cleaning waterblocks. Granted, you have to buy more than you'll need for many years, but it works wonders. PS: buy citranox.
I had a WhiteWater with Al. top that corroded the Copper, it took cintranox about 30-45min to clean off the vast majority of the corrosion. AND this is without me scrubbing and stuff like that. Just be warned, you do need to fallow directions and be careful, the stuff burns if you get it on your skin(just a little its not like "OHH <expletive of choice> IT BURNS")

Also, the stuff is meant for commercial/laboratory* use, so you don't really need any fancy post cleaning cleaning, just rinse with distilled water.

* Their product Alconox is used in the chem labs at University of Texas at Dallas.

I use ketchup for the insides as well. Easily available (always on-hand ;)) and it's thick, so it "coats" a lot better than many things.

I do have the pump to do that with. Got a deal on 2 pressure-rated pumps, one for use in my future misting system for the 75g vivarium ;)

If it's a take apart block I use Never Dull and clean the surface off with some iso or arcticlean.

Back