• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

And the build begins...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vyncennt

Registered
The purpose of this thread is to thank all the people here who offered advice to me on my first WC'd rig. As I'd stated in my original thread, I've built a number of rigs, but never had the audacity to attempt running water through one, lol.

I now have all the parts (except the darn coils that wrap the Tygon tubing...*thanks Swiftech for the wonderful order-eating website...grrr*. I ordered these overnight-air, so hopefully they will come soon (ordered from Sidewinder.com this time, and they aren't exactly "expedient" when it comes to getting the product out the door) =/

So with no further ado, here is the parts list of my current build:

Rig:

CPU: Core 2 Duo E6750
RAM: (2) x 1 GIG Corsair Dominator PC1066 DDR2
PSU: Ultra X3 1000watt PSU
MOBO: Asus P5E
VGA: Sapphire X2900 PRO 1 GIG GDDR4
SC: SupremeFX II
CASE: Lian Li PC-201
DVD/CD: (2) x Samsung Writemaster
MISC: Scythe floppy/card reader and an AeroCool Gatekeeper (sp?)

Cooling:

PUMP: Swiftech MCP655
(2) x S.S. wormdrive clamps.

RESERVOIR: Swiftech MCRES
(2) x Danger Den 1/2 High Flow barbs, (2) x S.S. wormdrive clamps.

RADIATOR: Swiftech MCP320
(2) x Danger Den 1/2 High Flow barbs, (1) Swiftech RadBox, (3) x 90CFM Yate-Loon 120mm, (2) x S.S. wormdrive clamps.

CPU BLOCK: Swiftech Apogee GTX
(2) x Danger Den 1/2 High Flow Barbs, (2) x S.S. wormdrive clamps.

NB BLOCK: Swiftech MCW30
(2) x Danger Den 1/2 High Flow Barbs, (2) x S.S. wormdrive clamps.

VGA BLOCK: MCW60
(2) x Danger Den 1/2 High Flow Barbs, (2) x S.S. wormdrive clamps, (16) x Swiftech forged copper ramsinks, (1) x Swiftech MOSFET heatsink, (1) x Thermalright HR-09U Type 1 MOSFET heatsink (yes...it mounts to the card!)

COOLANT: ThermoChill PC Chill (clear)

TUBING: Tygon 1/2ID x 5/8OD (necessary for MCW60, grrr)

MOSFETS: Thermalright HR-09U Type 2 and Thermalright HR-09S Type 2

SB: Thermalright HR-05 IFX/SLI

CASEFANS: Front and rear Lian Li 120mm, Side Lian Li 120mm, and compartment Lian Li 120mm

RAM COOL: Corsair Dominator Airflow Fan assembly

Will post some pics soon....like when I figure out how to mount that darn water pump =p

Look alright, though I think use of some parts is overkill. Good luck and enjoy.

Last edited:
Wow, that is a great setup!

I cant wait to see pics :D

Where are you planning on mounting the pump?

God only knows.... *sigh* ....

The only place I can think of is in the second set of harddrive bays (the first is occupied by...well...harddrives =p)

I have 2 questions, if anyone has the time =)

(a) Can the pump be mounted in any orientation? Does is have an "upside-down"?

(b) The coil-wrap from Swiftech...is it normally so tight that you have to "wrap" it around the tubing as opposed to sliding the tubing through it?

Thanks everyone!

Well it's all assembled now (pics on the way...had to bribe the camera back from wife!), and "seems" to be leak free. I even teflon'd all the threads, as I can't imagine having TOO much safety here, hehe.

I used a PSU tester to jump the PSU, and imagine my surprise when I saw almost no flow!!!!

WTF?! I almost cried.

After scratching my head for several minutes (ok...low estimate), I finally glanced over at the 655 box and realized I had the pump tubes backwards :bang head:

Whats odd, is that I checked the pump tubes specifically, over and over. All the tubes actually. I have a sneaking suspicion that either (a) I'm retarded or (b) the arrow carved into the pump barb was put on the wrong barb by mistake. 50-50 chance either way, I reckon :beer:

So after soaking myself and the bottom of my case to drain the system and switch the tubes (dishtowels ftw!), I got it up and VIOLA...it runs...like a bear.

Will install Windows in the morning after some further leak testing (I could only sit there and watch the rig for so many hours before my lids were drooping...lol).

Cross your fingers people! A W.C. noob may just have got it right....

....if not, invest in hankies....

Nice set-up, the same things I'd choose if I had an IHS CPU! :):thup:

The MCP655 flows OUT through the "top" of the casing. Don't know where your arrow is stamped but mine has an arrow pointing "up" on this barb (as shown). The only orientation I would not recommend is the IN pointing down - anything else should work fine and I would think the IN pointing up may be a hair less noisier. (also note the mounting bracket can easily be turned around ;))

Don't know if you've wrapped the tubing yet but the SmartCoils won't just slip on - and you really don't want them to. The best way I've found is to wrap a few inches of coil then go back near the beginning and start pulling down the length of the tubing on what you've already wrapped thereby creating a little spring tension on the tubing. This helps it maintain a good, round shape even on very tight turns and the tighter the turn the more wraps/inch I give it. The run from the CPU to the MCW60 has a wrap every 1/8" or so on the outside of the curve and are almost touching on the inside of the curve but the tubing is nice and round the whole length. You may also want to support the tubing slightly for that curve to take a little pressure off the CPU and vid mount. I inserted one end of a plastic twist-tie under 3-4 coils then tied the other end to my case support bar above the motherboard.

I'll be waiting for those pics ...!

Attachments

• d_2152.jpg
    d_2152.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
First watercooling cherry busting day, I remember mine... Tho it was a little painful (in the pockets, lol), but it was fantastic once the deed was done :D Evrybody has their own "method" of installing, filling, bleeding, etc. You'll start learning tricks yourself.

Been H20'ed for several years now. My back-up rigs are air cooled for the simplicity, but I prefer watercooling.

QI is right on the mark as usual with the arrow orientation on the pump. I had that same pump, the bracket can be moved to mount the pump in different configurations. yellowhello pointed out something very important as well about the noise. Mine made a little more noise when mounted vertically, which was a bit anoying :rolleyes:, so i had to mount it horizontally instead.

Waiting on those pics as well :)

Ok...coils need to be readjusted (a little sloppy after moving the tubing). and the Raptor isn't installed yet, but here we go! .....

Picture003.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture001.jpg

Picture004.jpg

holy shyt, thats basically gonna be my exact setup accept for the nb block, coolent, tubes, and 6 yate loons instead of 3.

here is how i will mount the rad
attachment.php

^^from Zx2Slow pc ^^

how noisy are those fans btw? any idea on temps?

No idea on temps yet....I still have to call Microsoft and convince them that somehow this is the 25th time I've installed XP on the "same" computer..... :)

I'm also working on removing key data from my old system, formatting the Raptor so I can install it the new build, and making room for this behemoth under my desk (which may be somewhat less than "fun")

As for noise? All I can say is that with those 3 Yates running full blast and three more Lian Li 120's running full blast.....

......it's barely a low hum that I hear!

Of course, what I find reasonable may not be so for others, but after running this configuration I'd definitely consider running three more additional Yates.

BTW: Could anyone tell me if it is acceptable that my reservoir is only 3/4 full? I ran out of coolant when I had to refill the rig after the tubing issue I had.....

i wouldn't have bothered with the tube wrapping personaly, and i didn't!

My system (see link in sig) is very quiet compared to the old TFB1212GHE 220cfm delta i had with my air cooling setup. i have to say unless its for simplicity, i'm never going back to air for my main rigs.

i wouldn't have bothered with the tube wrapping personaly, and i didn't!

My system (see link in sig) is very quiet compared to the old TFB1212GHE 220cfm delta i had with my air cooling setup. i have to say unless its for simplicity, i'm never going back to air for my main rigs.
You use the 1/2" ID x 5/8" OD Tygon 3603? I didn't know that ... :)

Nice, Very Nice.

holy shyt, thats basically gonna be my exact setup accept for the nb block, coolent, tubes, and 6 yate loons instead of 3.

here is how i will mount the rad

*Removed Pic because bandwidth isn't free*

how noisy are those fans btw? any idea on temps?

Great looking rigs (Vyncennt and Spawn-Inc).

ONe n00b question for you Spawn... 6 fans on your rad??? Whats the blow direction on them and the theory behind it?

Thanks!

JM

Last edited:
Ok...some preliminary test results (not too advanced...just testing the waters)

E6750 @ 3.1:

Orthos has both cores at 100%
TaT, CoreTemp, and front panel LCD used for temp monitors

Results:

Core 1 maxed at 29C
Core 2 maxed at 25C
Temps reported slightly lower by the attached thermal probes (approx 3 degrees C on everage)

CPU stable, no errors (yet)

X2900PRO 1GIG DDR4 @ 904/999

ATITOOL and RTHDRIBL used to stress core
RTHDRIBL at 1600x1200 16xmultisample (and still hold 60FPS...woot)

Core maxed at 44C

Not too shabby so far!

Anyone have a link to a comprehensive guide for the Asus P5E bios? I've bought Gigabyte all of my life and the BIOS setups are completely alien to me.....lol

Thanks everyone,

Vynny

Back