• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wanna start, but not ... afraid of leaks, dunno what to buy.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

remisan

Hello,

First of all, I'm buying a new system, worth around €4000.
That's a lot of money to me, and I certainly don't want to take a lot of risks in breaking it.
However, I'd like to overclock it a little to make it even more powerfull ...
Specs:
Case: Coolermaster cosmos 1000
CPU: intel quadcore q6600
Ram: DDR3, 4GB
GPU: 2X 2900 XT (ATI)
HDD: 2X 1TB
MB: P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi-AP@n or Maximus Extreme (both asus)

Budget for watercooling: MAX €300
Must be available in Belgium (EU)I certainly don't want the system to be flooded. Is it possible with watercooling to have something risk free?

I'd prefere something out of the case, not too big, and without fans (but with active cooling)

Any suggestions?

holy crap, i thought my system was going to be costly (3500CDN with water cooling) i'm not sure who ships to belgium, so i can't build a system but i can tell you don't waste your money on a prebuilt watercooling system.

what are you looking to water cool? (i'm guessing cpu, gpu's, and n/b if you get the maximus)

Turn that fear into caution, to do a good job installing. Nitpicking from worry is a good way to make sure you follow the time tested proper steps in leak testing and other tid bits.

I'd indeed want to cool down the CPU, 2 GPU's and NB.
Which manufacturers do good jobs?
what do I need if I don't buy a kit?

I am not hip on the best out right now. One thing that rings true amongst most water coolers. The kits suck. The value to cooling performance ratio is just not there. There is a few limited kits that are ok, but they cost more then a custom list setup. One of the reasons kits suck, and it is very obvious. Updating the oddball parts that are not very good to begin with. Since once you get into it and learn how it works. You then realize how crappy some kits really are. Another plus for building versus kits. You know what is involved as you start buying parts. Adjusting parts in the list as needed.

My only other input right now. Is to wait for a little bit and others will chime on with a good parts list. Worth the wait too.

Basic list will include:

Pump

Rad

Block(s)

Tubing

Algicide mixes

Hardware for mounting and clamping

Turn that fear into caution, to do a good job installing. Nitpicking from worry is a good way to make sure you follow the time tested proper steps in leak testing and other tid bits.

I agree. If you are very paranoid, do a leak test by running the loop on its own for a few days if you want :D

If you are careful and tighten things properly (not too tight though) you will not get any leaks :D

If you do a good leak test beforehand you'll be fine. You should also check things over every 3-4 mo. and make sure everything is as it should be.

If you do a good leak test beforehand you'll be fine. You should also check things over every 3-4 mo. and make sure everything is as it should be.

I heard the "latex" of the connection points tend to "rot" away over time.
is this why I'd have to check every couple of months?
Does anybody have bad experience with watercooling?

The tubing can 'loosen' over time so just double check that it's tight. Takes a couple of secs and gives you a chance to blow out the dust. Sure there's lot's of bad experience stories floating around, you can find some right here if you look around. Even so, imo it's no more dangerous than air cooling if you pay attention.

ok, what'd be the best tubing? 1/2", 3/8" or 1/4"?
I've read about it here somewhere, but it wasn't very clear language to a new user ...
I believe it has something to do with the pressure, and speed?

1/2" tubing :)

Or 7/16" tubing, which fits on 1/2" barbs but is a very tight fit so there's less chances of leaks. It's thinner aswell, and easier to work with :)

Ok, I selected these things:
DD Copper TDX Block for Intel 775 Processors (I guess this will work on a quadcore socket 775)
DD Acetal Top MAZE4-1GPU Peltier Version X 2 (for GPU, the ones specific for the 2900 are too expensive imho)
DD MPC-Universal Chipset Block (since I can't find a block for the motherboard I'll be using)
pump: Eheim 1250
Pump Adaptors
2x Danger Den Bay Reservoir High-Density Polyethylene
ClearFlex 60 Tubing 1/2" ID 3/4" OD (how much will I need?)
Danger Den Fillport (what's this?)

I didn't pick a rad yet. i'd love some more info about it. As I understand it, a rad needs additional fans on it to cool the water down? what'd be the best pick on the DD site?

imo d-tek fusion is one of the best for quad core cpu ...

sharka-computers_1972_231288

and for the tubing use Masterkleer Pvc Tubing 7/16IN ID 5/9IN OD

and why 2 bay's reservoir ... use a T line ... and a dd fillport to fill your loop ... and less chance of leak

ordi008-1.jpg

Good luck ...

I agree with the Fuzion block and the T-line.

If you can do simple plumbing use a copper 1/2x1/2x3/4" T but you'll have to add 1/2" nipples (very short lengths of pipe) to the 1/2" sides because you're using 7/16" tubing. The T itself can use cheap 3/4" tubing - it holds more water than a normal T and bleeds quicker because of the 3/4" opening. Get a Delrin (plastic) fillport for it ...

Ok, I selected these things:
DD Copper TDX Block for Intel 775 Processors (I guess this will work on a quadcore socket 775)
Not the best block for C2Q, go with a Dtek Fuzion, or Apogee GT (I dont recommed the GTX as it has aluminium in it, and the copper top is way to expensive).
DD Acetal Top MAZE4-1GPU Peltier Version X 2 (for GPU, the ones specific for the 2900 are too expensive imho)
Why peltier versions? If you want a 'safe' system, dont use a peltier ;)
DD MPC-Universal Chipset Block (since I can't find a block for the motherboard I'll be using)
You'll have to get seperate heatsinks for the Mosfets and Southbridge if you watercool the northbridge. As they're all linked by a heatpipe.
pump: Eheim 1250
This is an AC pump, and although a good pump - you'll be better off with a 12V DC pump such as a Laing D5 / MCP655. Pump Adaptors - wont be needed if you get a MCP655 ;)
2x Danger Den Bay Reservoir High-Density Polyethylene
I'm using one of these, and I wouldnt recommend it at all. Get a Swiftech MCRES-Micro or use a T-line.
ClearFlex 60 Tubing 1/2" ID 3/4" OD (how much will I need?)
I'm using a combination of Masterkleer 7/16" and XSPC Clear Flex 1/2". Both are excellent, and havent clouded as fast as my Tygon R-3603 did. As for length, I think I used just over 2 metres for my setup, but it's best to buy more than you need.
Danger Den Fillport (what's this?)
You only need this if you use a T-line, it goes at the top to cover the t-line.

I didn't pick a rad yet. i'd love some more info about it. As I understand it, a rad needs additional fans on it to cool the water down? what'd be the best pick on the DD site?
I'm not familiar with Dangerden rads, but I've been very happy with my Swiftech MCR320. Yes, you will need fans.

good luck :)

Back