• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800Ultra cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

catkicker

In keeping with my tradition of waiting till the new series nvidia cards hits the shelf I bought the top dog of the previous series.
The GeForce 8800Ultra Superclocked 768MB 384-bit GDDR3.
For now it will be installed im my AMD rig,165 opteron@2853MHz.
The card came with no cooling on it. So I had to hunt down some heatsinks and pick up another block.

:eek:

so I guessed you noticed the addition of two small fans on the video card. I'm going to be cranking up the volts a bit on this card to see what it will do so it was nesecary to add some active cooling to the mosfets heatsinks
Here a quote from the man himself Viper john
Hi Stephen

They cool the Core mosfet heatsinks under them. When you lean on the Vcore and card clocks
you will be drawing a lot power off the Vcore PS and those mosfet will really get warm. While the
mosfets themselves can handle the heat if you do not fan cool them that heat will conduct through
the PCB glass and add a hugh heat load to the closest memory chips and that can ding the hell
out of the clean memory OC you can get.

The one thing that is critical to cool when removing the stock cooler is the NV I/O chip. Those
suckers run hotter than hell even heat sinked and if you do not take care of that chip the card will
have a very short life.

John

:)

Last edited:
looks cool, you got it in your loop yet?

No I just finished up mounting the block. I may install it in the loop tonight and runs some benchmarks on stock settings. But then again I'm having to much fun with the COD4 multi player. My 7900GTX is handling the COD4 game just fine.

Where'd you get the card without the cooling? Used?

It came from someone who does phase, dice & LN2 cooling. I don't know what happened to the stock cooler and don't really care much. As you can see I really don't need the stock cooler for a RMA:rolleyes:

It came from someone who does phase, dice & LN2 cooling. I don't know what happened to the stock cooler and don't really care much. As you can see I really don't need the stock cooler for a RMA:rolleyes:
Yeah, that's why I'm wondering, I don't need the stock cooler either (I water cool as well) and I though maybe iIcould score one cheap from somewhere...:shrug:

Back