• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old Eheim 1250

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johnm

Ehem 1250 has been on 4 mb
Ehem has been on 680 for 11 months
Getting worried about its age
Have 2 gt on backorder
Got 2 old 7900gt DD wb for them
Only use pc few hrs daily
I host a low bandwith game 24 7 on a back up pc.
Should i buy another Ehem 1250 so i can run 2 Ehem pumps in series.
I could also run 1 Grundfos pump.
Have 2 new small Grundfos pumps #up15-30d7 1 inch outlets
Grundfos pumps are used to drain 2 gallons water every 90 sec.

I've had several Eheim pumps before I went with the 12v pumps. Of all the ones I had, only 1 failed. I would say that's an outstanding record.

If you're really worried then you could pick up another and put it in series, but I doubt you'd need it - they're reliable pumps. Compare an Eheim's failure rates to DDCs :p

Eheim pumps have a lifetime warranty - they're designed to be switched on and left on for several years. [GOOD TO KNOW] Now I am less worried now.
I was only worried about SLI i have ordered.
In 01/08 I will go quad for the extra 12 meg cache = more heat.
Have a full tower both pump + rad are mounted above mb ps above radiator
When i had sli lowest 7900 card was always slightly hotter then 1rst card.
Thinking of a second pump in bottom of case to get more psi on the return
Get free tubing so it is changed every 4 to 6 months.
Refilling t line takes 1 hour cause its hard to get water from bottom card to pump.
Just got a bay resevoir from DD.
With a resevoir i may see how flow looks
Never liked or used a resevoir
I guess return goes to resevoir resevoir to pump sounds correct
thanks john

Last edited:
Yep. If you do anything such as lie case on it's side etc for bleeding, ensure the pump is fed from the lowest output of the reservoir (lowest once case is in that position - ie: If you lie case on righthandside, mobo facing up, to bleed blocks, ensure return goes to upper most barb of the res, and pump is fed by lowest - barb nearest mobo-side of case).

Yep. If you do anything such as lie case on it's side etc for bleeding, ensure the pump is fed from the lowest output of the reservoir (lowest once case is in that position - ie: If you lie case on righthandside, mobo facing up, to bleed blocks, ensure return goes to upper most barb of the res, and pump is fed by lowest - barb nearest mobo-side of case).

Because both barbs are on the same level i didnt think it mattered.
ensure return goes to upper most barb of the res, didnt know that.
I would have sucked a lot of air on filling with case tilted and shakened.

I have been running my Eheim 1250 for almost 4 years now without a single problem. I also have a swiftech 12Volt pump running in my room here daily for over a year now and not a problem with it either. These little pumps are very reliable!

WZ

Eheims are German engineering at it's finest, man. I've been using Eheim cannister filters on my aquariums since 1995, which have pumps built into them and haven't had to change any parts on them except 1 ceramic impeller shaft, which I accidentally broke while cleaning the crud out of the filter. And I've been using an Eheim 1250 on my watercooled rig since January 2002 and that rig has run 24/7/365 almost all the time since I first built it. That 1250 has seen 3 or 4 rebuilds of my watercooled setup since then but never have seen the need to change the pump or go with a 12v pump.

ceramic impeller shaft cool
Are the seals ceramic.
I have resealed hundreds of commerical dishwashers pumps but never saw a ceramic impeller shaft.

I have one Eheim that's been on for just shy of a decade, only time it's off is if I change the water in my fountain. My other Eheim 1250 for h20 PC cooling has been on for almost 6 years 24/7, my person opinion to attain the longest life is to leave the Eheim on even if the computer is off. So basically my h20 cooling is always on, I used to have it wired to shut off when the pc goes off, but I decided stop using that method since I don't shut down the pc all that often, but even if I did, I'd still leave the pump running 24/7 even when the PC is off. Both Eheims run as they did the first day I bought them.

The only time I ever shut off my two Eheim pumps are to service the water, or I go out of town for an extended amount of time, then I pull the plugs. (The Eheim used for the computer is connected to the same large UPS in the event of a power outage, this is the only catastrophic situation I worried about, a couple years ago I had a UPS just for the Eheim that would run the pump a whole lot longer than the UPS used for the PC and monitor, then upgraded to a large APC UPS and use it for everything.

Failure and Eheim is a rare thing, honestly I'm kind of surprised to read about more than one failure in this thread....)

As others have said you should be good to go , The only time ive ever had one fail was after a few years in a reef tank and calcium build up on the shaft ( pump was fine but it needed a rebuild ) My other has been on my planted tank as a sump return for 8 1/2 years now.

Back