• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MCP355-DDCT-01 Help with pump not starting?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Froz

I bought a ddct-01 back in may 07 and overall it's a great pump. I went from a dual pump setup to just one and it's super quiet. However, around July, I started to notice that the pump doesn't always want to start up. It will try to go but then fail. Sometime a little jiggle gets it going, and sometimes I need to unhook the power for a bit and then hook it back up.

do i have a pump issue, or a power issue, or both? Anyone else seen issues with this pump not starting up? I did some searches but nothing popped up right away. Appreciate the feedback.

Froz

hmm strange.

it might be a power problem...maybe its just not getting enough to get it started.

OR, its getting old n having trouble starting.

Methinks the first if u got it in may

He has the DDCT-01, which is a different top.

I'd probably say it's on its way out.

My DDC+ had the same problem sometimes, but it was not a pump problem, but a Molex connector problem. I really doubt your pump is suffering the same as mine (my pump was on a loose daisy-chain of 4-pin molexes), but try wiggling the power connector where it is connected without disconnecting or reconnecting it. Also try wiggling the wires from the pump and the wires going to the connector connected to the pump's molex connector.

I ran into this problem a little over a year ago, with 3 mcp-355 pumps I purchased. Each one exhibited the same symptoms (2 from day one). After I contacted the manufacturer, they informed me that a small batch of their units had problems, related to start up current. Their solution was to send back for newer replacements.

i had the same problem with a ddc-1 a while back.it would spin stop,spin stop.sometimes it wouldnt start at all and usually started up if i tapped it.eventually it just stopped responding altogether.so off to rma it went.
ive got a ddc-2 with a shoddy molex connector currently(back up pump is waiting in the wings lol).i had to strap the cabledown a certain way to be sure it will start up.since doing that ive had no problems with it tho.

if yours is still under warranty i would send it in for rma before its too late.

He has the DDCT-01, which is a different top.

I'd probably say it's on its way out.

My DDC+ had the same problem sometimes, but it was not a pump problem, but a Molex connector problem. I really doubt your pump is suffering the same as mine (my pump was on a loose daisy-chain of 4-pin molexes), but try wiggling the power connector where it is connected without disconnecting or reconnecting it. Also try wiggling the wires from the pump and the wires going to the connector connected to the pump's molex connector.

It seems like i have the best luck when i push the wires in from the molex connectors. I think i'll rip off hte connector and solder the wires together and see what happens. I also have a fairly long run (5ft or so) of wire to the external box. I'm not sure if wire attenuation could be playing a factor.

Sounds like I'm not the only one who has had problems with this pumps. I'll try my luck with the vendor, and if they won't return, start taking some more drastic measures.

Thanks

I've had this issue before too... the problem was there was still some air bubbles in it. Turn the pump so the outlet is pointed up, and smack it a few times. Bubbles might come out, and that was probably your problem. Worked for me.

Back