• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

With Asus down for the count who is the stability king of P35?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

glen

Registered
I have never had a system crash in 2 years with my Asus motherboard. I was all set to buy the P5K but the internet is full of Sata and DDR horror stories.

Who should I look to for a rock solid stable P35 mother board, or is it an issue with P35 in general.

Would I be better off with a P965 mother board and sacrifice future CPU upgradeability?

any of the abit's will do imo, if you want just mild ocing then go with either the IP35-E or IP35. if you want some more options for higher ocing then look at the ip35-pro. also look at the pro if you really need firewire ports/ESATA ports as well. still a MIR on the IP35-Pro on newegg taking $20 off the price. putting it only $20 more then the IP35 board on newegg...

I need the 6 SATA plus esata.

I plan on starting with a 2160 running maybe 3 Ghz.

I could get an open box Abit P965 AB9 Quad GT for $70,
is the IP35-Pro worth the extra $100 as far as compatability with the future 45 nm quad cpu's ?

My Abit IP35 Pro has been one of my best boards I have used in years. And probably one of the cheaper ones too!!

(see sig for results)

P35 based boards oc so much better then p965, as well P35 runs so much cooler too. when it comes to 45nm quads the IP35-Pro is going to be one of the best choices, imo:thup: im just waiting so i can get a E8500 or E8400...

P35 based boards oc so much better then p965, as well P35 runs so much cooler too. when it comes to 45nm quads the IP35-Pro is going to be one of the best choices, imo:thup: im just waiting so i can get a E8500 or E8400...

If any of these damn etailers would get the QX9650 listed I would let you know even sooner my friend!! :beer: :D

If any of these damn etailers would get the QX9650 listed I would let you know even sooner my friend!! :beer: :D

better get ur beta 16 bios installed then. as one gent at xs tried a ES qx9650 but had some issues with current retail bios's and i think the beta. im not to sure as he didnt state even after being asked. according to bios 14 though 45nm micro code was added, i only wish i had one!! i like the thought of the dually though esp if the TPD is around my 40-50 est.... that could = some big oc's from duallies!!

Last edited:
I think the duallie will certainly be formidable as a processor.

I just want to upgrade now to last me through until Nehalem for a complete system overhaul. This would be 1 year's use on a QX9650... but knowing me, I will be eyeing something else in Q1 '08..lol. :D

Gigabyte P35 boards are very solid, I got one after my Asus P5KC took a dump. The P35-DS3R has 6 Intel MAtrix Raid ports 2 eSATA ports. The P35C-DS3R supports future 45nm processors and DDR2\DDR3....

Definitely. Gigabyte P35/P31 boards are known to be very solid overclockers. They use all polymer aluminum solid capacitors, which really extends the lifespan and reliability of the board.

The Gigabyte website says nothing about eSata ports:

Esata is not intergrated to the board. You would have to use esata slot adaptern that comes with the board and plug it to the existing sata ports on the board.

^^ Yep. You use the PCI slot adapter and plug it into the 2 purple sata ports on the board. That leaves the other 6 sata ports available inside the PC. Pretty ingenious solution if you ask me. It gives the option to use eSata, but the ability to run 8 HDDs inside the PC if you so desire.

I know about the sata issues w/ the Asus's boards first hand. If you still want to get Asus...get Seagate HDDs and you won't have any problems; Raptors work fine as well. I'm still using my 250GB WD HDDs in AHCI mode right now. RAID wouldn't work, though. I haven't tried to RAID again since the latest BIOS came out, so the issue may be resolved.

I haven't heard of any DDR issues, though. What kind of issues are people having?

Edit: as said below, the P5K is very stable. It's a little finicky while trying to get it set up, but once you figure it out it's as stable as a rock!

Last edited:
P5K premium. I bought one from clubit with a q6600 and i liked it so much i bought another one just to put my e6300 in. Really stable and easy to overclock. I dont have a problem with sata because i use ide anyway. My q6600 is running close to 3.9 24/7 stable and my e6300 is running at 3.2 also 24/7 stable. Beats the heck out of my ds3 hands down.

P5K premium. I bought one from clubit with a q6600 and i liked it so much i bought another one just to put my e6300 in. Really stable and easy to overclock. I dont have a problem with sata because i use ide anyway. My q6600 is running close to 3.9 24/7 stable and my e6300 is running at 3.2 also 24/7 stable. Beats the heck out of my ds3 hands down.

I don't think you understand the purpose of this thread.

Yeah well i dont think you dont know what you are talking about. He was asking about the stability of the p5k and i told him about my experience with them so yes i do think i know what the thread is about. Thank you.

I dont have a problem with sata because i use ide anyway. .

I need SATA, unfortunately I can't pick only Seagate HD's because I have a few HD's from my old computer that I will be reusing.

As far as using the Gigabyte eSata bracket, my understanding is this method does not yeild a hot-swapable esata port. Is this correct?

Anyone know much about this Gigabyte board : GA-X38-DQ6..

I have two Premiums sitting on the bench atm... one I've run for about 3 months and the other is brand new, able to be returned.

I'm awefully tempted.

Back