• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

putting as5 on nb and sb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well the die for the NB is so much smaller then a cpu... i would use like half a BB size... really i would go a small as possible, just to keep it from making contact with anything else on the chipsets pcb.

It also depends on how high the NB heatsink sits - it typically has a foam surround sandwiched between the heatsink and the NB.

The NB does not have an integrated heatspreader, so the area of contact is small. Put a small dot in the middle and mount the heatsink and take it off again. Look to see that all areas are making contact and that there is no spillage.

For the SB I would use a credit card to spread the paste into a thin layer.

(I just did this yesterday on my P5WDH - was a couple of tries before I found what worked for me :D )

how can I check my nb and sb temps? I just added as5 on the nb and sb, along with a yearly replacement on my tuniq. I also put a coolermaster blue ice pro on my nb. It was only $20 at a local store and is copper skived fin. Hopefully that blue ice helps out, thought I did see a review that said you prob need a 6500 rpm 40mm fan instead of the 4500 for this thing to even do anything. I still have it oc'd at 3.0ghz and the mch 1.65 and fsb 1.4v. Maybe I should clock down for break in period? Thanks.

Last edited:
Back