• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5K premium pencil vdroop mod?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kylt

Registered
Hello all. I'm having some problems finding information on modding this board - I can find info on the P5K deluxe here but I'm not sure whether or not it's the same for the premium board? Can also find it for the normal P5K but nothing conclusive for the premium!

Please help, thanks. I'm having some pretty big vcore swings on my comp at idle and I was advised in another thread to up the vcore in the bios, but if that doesn't help I'm going to want to apply this mod asap.

Kylt

Yes and my vcore is all over the place in cpu-z. (1.14-1.28 at mostly idle).

What speeds and voltage settings are you running at? Unless you're maxed out on the voltage settings and still getting those seriously low swings, then you should just be able to pump up the voltage a little more to cover the swings. You really only need to worry about it if you're crashing or rebooting under load though. If it's working fine, but you're seeing the swings then you probably don't have much to worry about.

Running non-overlocked at the moment - waiting for my ultra 120 and fans to arrive so not pushing it yet (plus I'm new at this). I'm so new it took me a week to notice my chip is a B3 step not a G0 thank god the computer store will let me bring it in for a swap....

Current speed is 2.4 with auto vcore - it was suggested in another thread I up the vcore to 1.3 but i noticed something real strange last night. The lockups only occur while playing CoD4 & Crysis - on DX10. So at this point I'm not sure what the heck the problem is - could be GPU heat? Could be a DX10 issue? Crysis worked fine on DX9 for hours without issue.

I think my main issue is that when a crash *does* occur I have no idea how to check logs etc to see what caused it. I tried poking around the event viewer after my last crash but couldn't see anything.

I was asking about the vdroop mod because I've heard it does wonders for voltage instability - if thats the issue!

Kylt

I think your just seeing speedstep in action. You can disable C1E and speedstep in the BIOS. The vcore will quit dropping, but it won't fix your issues. Speedstep only kicks in when your idle.

How old is your VISTA install? Which drivers are you using? I think your lock-ups are gfx card or software related.

How hot is your CPU getting?

Vista is brand new (comp is only a week old). Drivers are 169.09 etc, latest mobo drivers etc. CPU hits about 50C at full load, heatsink and fan are on order still (that and its a B3, getting the CPU whenever the heatsink arrives).

Back