• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Mobo For 160 Price Range

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ascendedmaster

Hi All,

Iv built my own computers many times in the past and done so for others, however for the last 1 or so years i have not botherd.

Its now time for a new Computer and I have about 1800 Pounds In total as a budget to buy my computer. I was thinking of getting 2 24inch display on dual mode as i multi-task alot.

Anyways Im looking got a Gaming/Working Machine.

I need some Advise On Which motherboard is perfect fast and stable, and will handle raid for my work, and Raptors for gaming.

Im looking to buy the Quad processor, 4 gig of Ram and prob the 8800GTX

Is there anything you guys can recomend me as a perfect setup.

Thanks in Advance.

yes just a little but on fans only im not confortable with Watercooling considering my company insurance wont cover for losses :)

However i was thinking to overclock the Quad slightly. I am looking for a fast motherboard.

Do you see yourself getting a Penryn processor? If you are, consider the X38 chipset. If not, this is the board I'm buying, I've seen a ton of rave reviews on it and many people on this forum have it. Unfortunately I'm going to have to shelf one of my gtxs until I get a suitable sli board.

Abit IP35 Pro
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127030

Can be had for $184.00 US with a $20.00 rebate. Be weary of the rebate though, you won't be able to use newegg's RMA if you send the UPC away for the $20.

edit: rattle beat me!

45nm cpu's work on P35 based boards... the only reason to go with x38 is for crossfire...
under one 160, abit ip35-e/ip35,gigabyte P35-s3l/P35-s3,P35-DS3l,P35-DS3... if you can spend the tad extra go for the abit ip35-pro with the MIR.

X38 boards

Hi

Thanks for all the Replies.

So is the x38 worth buying, I dont mind ATI or 8800 N

I have about 350 pounds UK so thats about 700 for a Graphics Card is it better getting 2 ATI 2900 on the X38 board or just one nvidia

Im looking to setup raid on this system And i will be running 2 24 inch scrreen in dual mode.

Do remember if i overclock it slightly i cant be using Watercooling i just dont like the idea of water leaking or messing up the system so this is all air.

What ram can you recomend too.

I think one of the Abit P35 boards would be the best bet as they will support the new Intel CPU's when they come out. There really is no point in running SLI or Crossfire as you can get the same performance or better out of one high end card. If you do have the money for 2 high end cards then go for it but I know I wouldn't. As for RAM, you can never go wrong with Ballistix

Last edited:
Hi

Thanks for all the Replies.

So is the x38 worth buying, I dont mind ATI or 8800 N

I have about 350 pounds UK so thats about 700 for a Graphics Card is it better getting 2 ATI 2900 on the X38 board or just one nvidia

Im looking to setup raid on this system And i will be running 2 24 inch scrreen in dual mode.

Do remember if i overclock it slightly i cant be using Watercooling i just dont like the idea of water leaking or messing up the system so this is all air.

What ram can you recomend too.

To be honest, at this point crossfire is a joke. Crossfired 2900s just get decimated by an 8800gtx or 8800 ultra. Stick with nvidia now unti ATi gets their act together. As far as ram goes, most people I know have good luck with any of the following: Corsair, OCZ, Crucial, Mushkin, G.Skill, and Patriot. They seem to be the forerunners as far as ram goes. (I'm sure I've even missed a few)

Back