• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

about my new P5K-E/wifi-AP: what is it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gamefan

What does AP in the Asus mobos' name stand for?

I've got 2x1GB Crucial Ballistix 6400s, and will get either the E6750 or E6850 1333 C2D cpu. I have a couple cat5e cables running around the house, hooked up to the same router that this, my main pooter will be using. I may also need to buy and configure a pooter with a wireless ethernet card for elswewhere in the same house for where those two wires aren't, probly if I don't want to re-run those freakin' cat5es again. I really do not know what else I will need to do this. i.e I really don't know what I have now, what I don't have to buy or what I do have to buy to do this. Can anyone point me to a link of the type of pci card for an older pooter I would need. Preferably at futureshop, bestbuy, circuit city, etc., avail. in Toronto. Besides the main pooter working from the (only) router, I will likely want to have the other pooters in the house both on that same router AND also the wireless one , if i understand correctly to the main pooter AND I have read something about the throughput limitations of 802.11g/b due to this or that. What gives? I will have a full speed main pooter internet throughput right (since this is a wireless mobo model, but will be plugged into a wire), this isn't gonna limit itselfs throughput?

I will probly be buying a 8800GT 512 vid card, which I understand is a pciE version 2.0. Is this compatible with any, incl. all but the almost new this week, mobos? What will people do? What should I do? The power of the vid card is compatible, according to a review I read (75W through bus, extra connector), but isn't this mobo pciE bus lspec. ess than the max throughput of the vid card bus? Is that reasonable, possible? Am I gonna lose a lot of potential? I am not a hardccore gamer, but will want to play as best as I can. How is this combo of vid card/mobo? It'll be a couple months until I buy the vid card. If I really should I guess I could exchange the mobo, but don't really want to spend more time reviewing or cash (on X38 or whatever its called), but now would be the time, if necc.

So, 3 points:

1)2nd pooter wireless internet hardware req'd
2)main (& other) internet connection max throughput speed
3)vid card/mobo bus throughput spec. speed dilema?
4) "AP" is?

I have just learned there is no pciE problem with the P35 & 8800GT 512, though it is true. False alarm.

So, am I routing cables, or buying something (and what, dying to know), and what about those internet speeds?

This may seem really ignorant to some, but I have not been aqble to even conceptualize all what the possiblities may be for this mobo. I bought it not for the wi-fi, but because its the cheapest IC9R for RAID0 P5K... Nobody even carries the P5K-E, probly cuz its just a pittance more expensive.

I am plannning on connecting this mobo to a cat5e cable for internet,I never intended itself to be wireless-internet pooter, and probably never need that for itself. Please tell me this is possible. I will only be able to exchange for a little while longer. Furhter I need to make sure itself will get all the speed of a normal type of NIC/cat5e cable connection. There is talk about speeds, due to 802.11 g/ or /b, depending on if its this, or if its that; thats the other pooter, right!?

I am only assuming that it has an antennae & is "wi-fi" because it takes you that much closer to doing so without buying all of the hardware, like a wireless router. CAn I assume it is only a wireless router for one other computer. And I will actually use it for just that, for another pooter, if indeed thats what it is.

What is it?
What is it?

Last edited:
EDIT: I read the manual a bit. AP stands for Acess Point, and apparently I can use it as one (connnected by wire itself).

But I'd still appreciate any comments b/c I could read the whole thing several times and miss what I'm looking for. For instance, the speed vs. cat5e all around question, and the security question. I am always hearing about people stealing, or o/w using, a wireless, and don't know what range, or what thats cvalled, so I can't even google for the potential of the problem. eg "Asus P5K-E/wifi-AP sniping". I just made up the snipe word cuz it sounds about right. What is stealing/borrowing someones wireless internet connection called? So I guess for another pooter to have wireless internet (form this one, dep. on speed) the only other hardware I would need would be called a wireless ethernet card (wireless NIC), yes? Like this one:....

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Linksys-Wireless-G-PCI-Adapter/2644271/product.html

which seems to be the only one (of many) that is a (pci/slot) card, from this selection at .... Don't know if that means anything here?

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Wireless-Networking/1209/subcat.html?kid=2010010250&cid=122532

Last edited:
Back