• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to water cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

knight_2k1

Registered
I'm new to watercooling but fairly experienced at general system building. I am not a gamer. I work on distributed computing apps and like the raw power. I might try my hand at overclocking. Quieter is better, but not critical.

This is one of my few hobbies so my budget is pretty big. I tend to like buying things used to save where I can.

My current system:
Thermaltake armour
L1N64
2x 2210 opteron (looking to upgrade to 2347 HE shortly)
2x Zalman CNPS9500
OCZ Platium 2x1Gb
Thermaltake 600W stealthxstream
36GB raptor (hoping for raid 0 2x 150 raptor shortly)
Long term storage is NAS so its not relevant.

I've been offered parts of a cooling system for sale:
Innotek Maxi Radiator
Innotek Maxi Booster Kit
Typhoon dual bay Reservoir
Two Danger Den DD12V-D5 Variable Speed Pumps
Tubing

Questions:
1. Are the items I've been offered approriate to cool this system? If so, what price would be good (asking about 200)?
2. Ignoring what I've been offered, What cooling parts would be ideal for the dual quad core system? (so far I only see apogee gt as working with socket F)
3. Does anyone have experience with cooling the chipset on the L1N64, since I've heard it runs hot?

For the dual quads I would just bite the bullet and go with a PA160.3. For blocks I would check the compatibility of the dtek fushion and apogee gtx. The are pretty much the best for quads. Also I would not recommend watercooling your chipset. You are going to need all the capacity and flow you can get with two quads, it would resrict the flow in your loop and add more heat. Just go with an air solution for it.

The D5 pumps are good. Forget the Innovatek parts.

The Swiftech MCR320 is the best bang-for-the-buck rad on the market for price/performance, and is second only in performance to the Thermochill PA120.3 (there is no such thing as a 160.3-typo).

The best blocks on the market are the Dtek Fuzion and the Swiftech Apogee GTX. I prefer the Fuzion's build better myself, but both perform almost on par with one another.

For a reservoir, stay away from bay reservoirs. They really don't work that well and are over all rather impractical IMHO. I highly recommend a Swiftech Microres. It is small, can be mounted anywhere, and works well.

The D5 pumps are good. Forget the Innovatek parts.

The Swiftech MCR320 is the best bang-for-the-buck rad on the market for price/performance, and is second only in performance to the Thermochill PA120.3 (there is no such thing as a 160.3-typo).

The best blocks on the market are the Dtek Fuzion and the Swiftech Apogee GTX. I prefer the Fuzion's build better myself, but both perform almost on par with one another.

For a reservoir, stay away from bay reservoirs. They really don't work that well and are over all rather impractical IMHO. I highly recommend a Swiftech Microres. It is small, can be mounted anywhere, and works well.

i second that but would/will be going for the Swiftech GTX over the fusion, i want a pretty much completely all Swiftech system.

I wouldnt touch the Apogee GTX given the choice of a Fuzion, nothing to do with the blocks performance, but why put aluminium in your loop when you dont have to? Either two Fuzions or two Apogee GTs.

If you've got money to burn you could get the Apogee GTX copper tops...

From that parts list the only thing worth buying are the Laing D5s - great pumps.

Back