• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Answer me this!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ElGriton

I have an ASUS P5N-E SLI and a Mini Typhoon. With the way this HS sits on the board it hits the CAPS and exerts enough pressure on the motherboard to bend it. Everything worked great until yesterday. Read HERE & HERE. Could this be causing me any issues?

Does anyone have an intelligent answer?

Well I'm not sure.

I have seen warping of the MB cause problems for me in several cases. Some was when I was using phase, and particularly when I was using an acrylic case. In the acrylic case I could see the warpage and since there was no metal contact i was able to pinpinnt this. Your problem could be warpage or could not. Related to warpage you may have stressed the internal contacts, lost contact with the HSF, caused a short or any number of things. But really its hard to tell. Very hard from my screen to your rig.

Since it has ran for awhile what you usually do is attempt to look at the last thing that happened prior to the fault.

In your case you do not seem to be able to pinpoint what is wrong so you are basically at the fishing stage. What you are asking is for an answer that may or may not fit your problem based on someones experience. Could be it's not the warpage at all but warpage is there so you connect.

I would attempt to rule out, starting with R&R, move and replace or remove and repair. Start easy, jack in a different HD, check the HSF, things like that. There are some threads here to TS.

When it comes to push pins Intel HSF, warping is normal like this HERE (last pic), but when the base is pressing/touching the caps, something is wrong.

Try switch back to stock HSF to make sure if that mini typhoon isn't causing the troubles.

Last edited:
So, I need to get this straight. You installed a new heatsink and tried to install Vista and it's all bonked? Or did you have Vista installed good and then installed a new HS and it is broke?

Something is missing here, please fill in the blanks. Give us some smart information, ALL the info, and you'll get a good answer. Slow down, take your time please.

Back