• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU water and Chipset on Air

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jim Morbid

Hi All

On my Asus board (P5B Deluxe) it warns me that were I to use water cooling on my CPU I need to attach the added crappy little fan to the chipset cooler. This was a year ago and with the 680i SLi boards running hotter than ever has anyone had any problems teaming running water cooling with passive chipset cooling? And if so what did you do?!

Pics would be nice because I like looking at pretty things :p

JM

I would advise putting some type of active cooling near it but it you have good case airflow it should be fine. but i dont know how go the chipset hs on your board is. you could just get an aftermarket chipset cooler.

Well I meant more in the general sense.

In other words, if I'm going to buy a new rig and water cool the CPU is it advisable to upgrade the chipset cooling or doesn't it make much of a difference.

And since I'm water cooling I'll be pushing volts up on what ever needs to be.

JM

the chipset fan for the eVGA 680i board is noisy as hell, but i can change the speed in bios so its not. is there a option in bios on your board?

No my board is fanless (heat pipe from south to north and a radiator behind the IO panel), the added fan is loud and a horrible.

Again its more in general: Do you upgrade your chipset cooling when you go from air to water cooling.

JM

Last edited:
Ah, heatpipes! Same as the A8N32. Yes, I upgraded the cooling to a bigger fan ...

NB_With.JPG

Back