• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard for Xeon 3210?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you talking about the socket 775:

They all support it if they support the Q6xxx

Q6600 = X3220 (close enough to the 3210)

And to all who will argue with that, it is, look it up ;)

The X32xx series are just cherry picked Q6xxx processors :beer:

If you talking about the socket 775:

They all support it if they support the Q6xxx

Q6600 = X3220 (close enough to the 3210)

And to all who will argue with that, it is, look it up ;)

The X32xx series are just cherry picked Q6xxx processors :beer:

The guy from Gigabyte TEch support says because it is not on the CPU support list for my MB he cannot help me, I tried telling him what you just said....

This MB will not OC at all anymore, I had it at 3.2ghz, now I cannot raise the FSB 1 mhz!!!!!!

The guy from Gigabyte TEch support says because it is not on the CPU support list for my MB he cannot help me, I tried telling him what you just said....

This MB will not OC at all anymore, I had it at 3.2ghz, now I cannot raise the FSB 1 mhz!!!!!!
That is very strange...it seems like there is a different setting that is changing also. Do you have everything NOT set to auto?

For me, once I set the GTL Reference voltage to 0.63x from auto I was able to get over 3.2GHz. On auto I was definitely stuck around 3.2GHz. I don't think the Gigabyte board has that option, though, unfortunately. Have you upped the all the other voltages in the BIOS?

I haven't heard good things about the "C" board (DDR3 & DDR2), but its mainly due to RAM issues, not OCing the CPU.

Welcome to Premium land!

Here are my BIOS settings and notes for getting all I could out of the XEON. It may help you.

Updated BIOS settings/notes:

JumperFree Configuration Settings
AI Overclocking: Manual
CPU Ratio Control: Auto (manual for testing)
- Ratio CMOS Setting: 8
FSB Strap to Northbridge: 333 (Auto works fine)
FSB Frequency: 450 (Max is 480 for me w/ multi at 7)
PCI-E Frequency: 100 (110 didn't allow any additional OC on GPU)
DRAM Frequency: DDR2-900 (Ended up at 1:1 after benching several other ratios/timings)
DRAM Command Rate: 2T (1T wouldn't boot, more voltage maybe?)
DRAM Timing Control: Manual
CAS# Latency: 4 (3 wouldn't boot, more voltage maybe?)
RAS# to CAS# Delay: 4 (3 wouldn't boot, more voltage maybe?)
RAS# Precharge: 4 (3 makes memset lock-up)
RAS# Activate to Precharge: 8 (6 worked, but random issues have made me go back to 8)
TWR: AUTO (auto gives optimum setting based on memset testing)
TRFC: 25 (25 is best)
TWTR: 3 (shows up as 10 in memset [skewed])
TRRD: AUTO (auto gives optimum setting based on memset testing)
TRTP: AUTO (auto gives optimum setting based on memset testing)
DRAM Static Read Control: enabled (provides higher bandwidth)

Transaction Booster: Disabled (Enabled provides better bandwidth, but it isn't stable)
Boost/Relax Level: Level 0 (Higher relax level reduces bandwidth)
Clock Over-Charging Mode: 1.000v (had on AUTO, but higher FSB speeds demanded 1v. I may be able to turn this back down a bit for 450)

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled

CPU Voltage: 1.5125v (anything lower gave me core failures after 1.5-2hrs. 1.6v allowed 3.8GHz, but I think a little more is needed for P95.4 stability)
CPU Voltage Reference: 0.63x (I wasn't getting much over 3.2GHz until I changed this from Auto. 0.57x, and 0.59x wasn't stable. 0.61x worked, but I have a feeling 0.63x is best.)
CPU Voltage Damper: Enabled
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.60 (I may be able to reduce this to 1.5 for 450FSB. At 480FSB 1.5-1.6 [or 1.7?] wasn't stable, 1.8-2.2 worked.)
DRAM Voltage: 2.15 (2.3 was used to ensure stability through testing, but 2.2 should be fine)
FSB Termination Voltage: 1.30 (1.5 for 480FSB, I may be able to go lower at 450)
North Bridge Voltage: 1.4 (1.8 for 480, anything higher is actually worse)
North Bridge Voltage Reference: AUTO (0.67x for 480FSB, auto seems to work best for 450)
South Bridge Voltage: 1.05 (I had it at 1.2 during testing to ensure stability...don't know if it helped)

Advance CPU Settings
CPU Ratio Control: Auto (manual for testing)
- Ratio CMOS Setting: 8
C1E Suppport: Enabled (disabled for testing)
Max CPUID Value Limit: Disabled (I just left this disabled, I don't know if it hurts or helps)
Vanderpool Technology: Disabled (I just left this disabled, I don't know if it hurts or helps)
CPU TM Function: Enabled
Execute Disable Bit: Enabled (Not sure what this does, but I've seen others w/ it enabled)
PECI: Enabled

anything (or a BIOS level) that support a Q6600 will support a X3210! I have a couple P965-DS3 and P35-DS3R running X3210, no problem whatsoever!

I had the P35C, and it was no good for the Xeon, never seemed to work right...

Anyway it feels good to be back in ASUS land. The P5K Premium is a great board. I am going to start testing for stability at 3.2GHZ tonight....

The Premium is a good choice. I have mine runnig the X3210 at 3.72GHz 24/7. I also make good use of the wifi option.

xeon 3220 on Gig P35-DS4

I have a Gigabyte P35-DS4 rev2 with the f7 bios and it works fine with my XEON 3220, though I have not yet overclocked it beyond 2.7GHz. I've run prime on each core simultaneously for hours and no problems. However, Gigabyte also told me that it was not supported due to having a different Vcore than the Q6600... Maybe the range is a bit different, buts thats all, I think. Also, the CPUID which comes up in bios is identical to that of the Q6600, "06FB", and I thought maybe thats how bios identifies the chip to set up the initial voltage specs??. Anyway, I've run it for several weeks and it has worked from the initial boot.
The build was expensive... but came together well.
ANTEC case, P182 Black
ENHANCE power supply, ENP-0560G-G 600W
GIGABYTE motherboard, GA-P35-DS4
Intel Xeon X3220 2.4G SLACT RTL
MEM OCZ2N1066SR2GK
CPU COOLER ROSEWILL_RCX-Z775-EX R

I have a Gigabyte P35-DS4 rev2 with the f7 bios and it works fine with my XEON 3220, though I have not yet overclocked it beyond 2.7GHz. I've run prime on each core simultaneously for hours and no problems. However, Gigabyte also told me that it was not supported due to having a different Vcore than the Q6600... Maybe the range is a bit different, buts thats all, I think. Also, the CPUID which comes up in bios is identical to that of the Q6600, "06FB", and I thought maybe thats how bios identifies the chip to set up the initial voltage specs??. Anyway, I've run it for several weeks and it has worked from the initial boot.
The build was expensive... but came together well.
ANTEC case, P182 Black
ENHANCE power supply, ENP-0560G-G 600W
GIGABYTE motherboard, GA-P35-DS4
Intel Xeon X3220 2.4G SLACT RTL
MEM OCZ2N1066SR2GK
CPU COOLER ROSEWILL_RCX-Z775-EX R

Nice system. My P35C ran ok with my E6400, then I built another system with the P35C-DS3R with the Xeon and it never worked how it should, though I had it clocked to 3.2GHZ stable. IT lasted for a month.....

This Asus P5K Premium is sooo much better. The bios is way better and the CPU voltage damper Practically eliminates vDroop, so I can run at a lower vcore. I have not even tried to get past 3.2Ghz yet. Same clocks, system, but a different MB, the Asus scores a hundred points higher in 3DMark06. I'm going to tinker with it and feel out all the bios options and then push further...

Back