• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1st timer with simple question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

*jj

I've looked around and can't find a specific post (although I'm sure it's somewhere) in regards to the "ironclad" rules of the loop's flow direction. Is there a certain way you are supposed to run it for the best results? Right now it goes from the output of the pump straight down through the divider tray into the radiator (radiator is very restrictive, so I wanted the pump to go right into it), it flows through the radiator and up to the CPU, out the CPU into the northbridge chipset cooler, then out to the video card through the card over to the reservoir, then Instead of using the normal outlet I cut a new hole in the res and brought a hose barb out the bottom and down and over to the pump inlet.
PumpingWater3.jpg
PumpingWater2.jpg
So, how about it, any hard and fast rules for how the water should flow through the loop?

General rule of tubing:

The less tubing you use the better.

Order does not matter for "normal" watercooling (not using pelts, phase etc).

Looks great by the way ;)

Whats the general rule for pelts n stuff then?
If you have the cool side watercooled, then you want to have it before the processor ;)

That one there really isn't a rule, since it depends on the application.

You want the res to be before the pump inlet. Otherwise, the simplest routing that flows in a generally circular path from top to bottom to make bleeding easier works well.

What you have is excellent , and is very well done. It is simple, flows in a circular fashion from top to bottom and back to the top, and you even have the res at the top of the loop so bleeding should take no time. Well done and very clean case wiring job.

Well done and very clean case wiring job.
Yeah I wish, if you notice there is no power supply in there yet...lol. I am pretty good at routing wires and stuff, not to worried about that. Just wanted to make sure I had the right order on the loop itself. As you can see in the photo, I don't even have my ram sinks on my 8800 Ultra yet. This was more or less to test the loop and stuff. Will post completed pics once I'm done.

Thanks for the input!!

I like where you have your rad. I have a v2000, and was considering placing one in a smilar position, did you cut holes at the bottom for the hot air to escape?

there really are few set rules, however there are a number of guidelines, at least that I have discovered.
1. T-line/res before in front of and above pump inlet.
2. having a radiator/heatercore's barbs facing down is a royal PITA and takes months to bleed.
3. check doubble check, and then tripple check that the inlets/outlets are correct. (eg on a MCW600x the inlet is the center barb, outlet outter)

I like where you have your rad. I have a v2000, and was considering placing one in a smilar position, did you cut holes at the bottom for the hot air to escape?
Why yes I did sir. I also placed some blocks under the wheel sections to raise the case up off of the floor even more than the stck setup.

This is the case upside down after the wholes were cut:
PB120016.jpg

Very nice setup, I like the way you were able to mount the rad in the bottom of the case, the advantage of a big case. As for the loop, like the other guys said, you got it bang on :)

Spot on on layout, I really dont see how it could be better.

However, is that a 90 elbow going from NB block to CPU? :eek: That is going to kill flow, you should be able to make that bend using smartcoils ;)

Do they make them for 11/16" OD tubing? I'm thinking of going with some of that Tygon Black stuff anyhow, probably look fairly good with the EVGA black motherboard.
Yes, it will work. It says it is for 1/2 od, but you can put it on 3/4 od if your very careful ;)

Back