• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Up and running

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackersabbath

Just got my rig (in sig) today and it is up and running with no problems. I want to start overclocking it and was wondering what the deal with this CPU throttling is. Do I need to turn it off to OC or? What is the throttling called in BIOS?

I am very happy with this thing so far. I didn't have to screw around with it at all to get it going.

Just got my rig (in sig) today and it is up and running with no problems. I want to start overclocking it and was wondering what the deal with this CPU throttling is. Do I need to turn it off to OC or? What is the throttling called in BIOS?

I am very happy with this thing so far. I didn't have to screw around with it at all to get it going.
This "throttling" is called SpeedStepping ;)

*whisper* throttling is when it gets too hot ;) */whisper*

You should also disable C1E.

Well, I gotta work til morning so I gotta wait on OC'ing more. Benching is gonna suck for a bit til I grab another gpu too. 1:1 FSB:RAM the best to go right?

Well, I gotta work til morning so I gotta wait on OC'ing more. Benching is gonna suck for a bit til I grab another gpu too. 1:1 FSB:RAM the best to go right?
Unless your memory can handle a higher divider, yes.

I would think that the Ballistix could handle a higher divider. I'll probably test the CPU while at 1:1 and go for a higher one after I see how far this CPU can go. I lucked out and got an M0 stepping too.

I just got the rig in the sig yesterday and I tried to OC but can only get to 250x9. I tried 1.375 vcore at 260x9 but it wouldn't post. RAM ratio is at 1:1, voltage is 2.20. I was prime95 stable at 250x9 at stock volts. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to up the NB voltage already?

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to up the NB voltage already?
Well, I can't answer that for you, but what I do when I have an issue is just start messing with settings. Figure out what each setting does and go from there :beer:

Ok, here are my BIOS settings:
CPU:DRAM=1:2
RAM=SPD

VOLTAGES:
VCORE 1.2875
DDR2 2.20
CPU VTT 1.2
ICH 1.5
MCH 1.25
CPU GTLREF 63.0%

CPU FEATURE:
THERMAL CONTROL ENABLED
LIMIT CPUID MAXVAL DISABLED
C1E FUNCTION DISABLED
EXECUTE DISABLE BIT ENABLED
EIST FUNCTION DISABLED

I tried to get it going with the 1:2 RAM ratio and it didn't work either. I am going to try tightening the timings on the RAM but I don't see how that is going to work if I will be overclocking the RAM. Any other settings that I should be looking at or changing?

Seems like there was an FSB hole or something. Got it at 3.06 now and only had to bump the vcore one step. I am running at 340x9. Not too shabby.

I have mine running 333x9 and I havent tried going higher. I have my memory running at 1.2:1 so it is running at ddr2 800 speeds. I only had to bump this up to 1.345 from 1.325 and I did it all on stock cooling. I now have the blu orb II becuase I got a good deal on ebay 25$ shipped and I will let it sit a while and then go further. was 61 62C on stock full load and now it seems to be at56 57C on load. I have to set manual memory timings etc before I go further.

Back