• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P965 Decision

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dkizzy

I ran my chip too hot too long and its slowly dying, so I picked up an L628A that was tested to do 3.2ghz on 1.29 vcore on a DFI Infinity board (Not worried about 1333mhz fsb chips I'm content with a 1066 for another year or two). Well it comes down to a p5b deluxe wifi/Commando or maybe the DQ6 if enough praise is shown. I would assume most would say the p5b-deluxe but I heard the commando rocked as well. Help me decide! All I know is I can't stand my p5wdh and it caused more hassle than enjoyment.

What's wrong with P35? Most will support the Penryn chips that come out soon. That way you won't have to upgrade your motherboard again for a while.

I suppose I could go with one, whats the best p35 board under 150?

why did you choose the ip35-e over the ip35? I would love to get the pro and have seen all the praise on here about it but its I think 180 on newegg before rebate

I chose the IP35-E because of the price. I also read a lot of reviews about how much people love them and have had good overclocking results. I was on a budget build so the price really sold me on it. I use one hard drive so I could go without RAID.

Yeah I only use one hd as well, so this seems like a no brainer decision. What are your ocing results like? I know gigabyte has a similar budget board but I want to give abit a shot.

Last edited:
I just set it up before I came into work tonight so I didn't have much of a chance to overclock. So far I got up to 225x9 for 2025Mhz. I will be working on it some more when I get home in 5 hours. I'm sure that I have plenty of headroom but I like to take it slow when overclocking while others like to jump high. There was a review here: http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=29&threadid=2063989&enterthread=y where people are getting really good overclocks. I'm shooting for a 100% overclock since I have the M0 stepping. 1800Mhz to 3600Mhz would be awesome. I just gotta keep an eye on my temps but since I am at 30C with stock voltage I should be fine.

I see, I don't know much about mo stepping but I'm about to order this board cause I don't really need the extra's from the others. If its going to oc pretty solid no point to buy an ip35 pro even if it is awesome.

I definitely recommend it. A lot of other people will too. I think it is kinda late or something. Evilsizer would be all over this thread lol

is there any reason to get an ip35 besides copper cooling? I find more reviews about the pro and e than the ip35 lol. Not that this review matters much in my case but they showed the only "Real" difference between the pro and the e is voltage filtering for quad cores:

http://www.insidehw.com/content/view/270/9/

either way it looks just as top notch for a c2d

Last edited:
yeah. I'm not sure if the ip35 has the better voltage regulation chip for quads but not even a concern for me. I only looked into 965's again because of their consistency, but if the p35 is going to be just as solid, especially a board like that that fulfills my essentials then its a good choice to opt for the p35. Thanks for all the help, I'm going to order sometime tomorrow prob.

I am always glad to help. From what I have heard too, the P35 chipsets are much better than the 965. Not to mention newer and compatible with Penryn. Just make sure that you repay me by posting your results with the board. Good luck =)

One final question, opinion on the other "Cheap board" competition, the GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L rev 2.0 seems to get decent praise on newegg, but I'm skeptical of gigabyte boards. Let me know your opinion even though you own an abit. thanks man.

Last edited:
I can't personally talk smack about Gigabyte boards. I thought about getting that one myself but I have experience with Abit, know their qualility and ease of overclocking. My last Abit board I loved to death. No company puts out a perfect board though. I just love Abit and probably always will.

Back