• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p5k vanilla + massive vdroop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yzzuf

Anyone else experience this?

If bios is set to 1.6vcore I get ~1.38 loaded in windows. I am going to volt mod this board when I get home but thought I would check if anyone else gets these crazy drops using this board. Voltage damper is enabled btw. I am trying for a stable 3.6 with my GO but at 1.5 bios I get 1.3loaded in windows and I am pretty sure this is causing the stability issue.

Rest of system is:
q6600 GO
p5k vanilla
4gig ocz 6400
8800gtx
antec 650w

vdroop is the difference from load to idle. vdroop has nothing to do with what you select in the bios and what you actually get...

3 phase PWM on this board, what did you expect running a quad?
hmm i thought all the plain ones had at least 4phase... i lose track with asus boards, cause i really do think your overpaying for what you get...

Voltage damper is enabled btw.

This is non-functional in the vanilla version of the mobo...just there i BIOS to take up space.

I hear that pencil vdroop mod works wonders.

I think it is 4 phase PWM. Check out this picture. See those inductors. The placement is a bit scattered but you see four for the VRM and one for the memory. 3 phase designs were with Intel VRM 9.0. We are now with VRM 11.0 and soon to be 11.1, where a 4 phase control is the norm.

[Picture courtesy xbitlabs]

p9.jpg

Finding a volt-mod/ droop mod is the easiest thing in the world. Every buck regulator has a pin specifically for VDroop control by means of a feedback resistor. It is as simple as looking up the datasheet to find this pin and the resistor associated with it. :)

Slightly off-topic:
:)
A few other things that may interest anybody reading this:

I'm getting a Q6700 sometime next month and the first thing I'll do is add a few OSCON's to the spots near the inductors where there are spots for caps. The reports of caps blowing is you hear is probably because the ripple current rating of the bulk capacitance has been exceeded. But........

Look at newbeetle's thread, at the pics posted in it and the stock pics from newegg.
NewBeetle San
Newegg

Differences you see here are :
  • Newbeetle's board has more expensive Sanyo OSCON's on it whereas the newegg pic has Fujitsu polymers.
  • PCB color is different
  • Newbeetl's board has an EPS connector while the newegg pic has an ATX connector.
The point I'm trying to make is, I think his blow up was because of the PSU he used. Note the position of the exploded cap near the EPS connector. Also note that none of the CPU VRM caps exploded. I'd be willing to speculate that these types of failures will occur if the PSU puts out low frequency AC current.

Nope thats 3 phase, the other inductor is part of the NB power circut. Newbeetles board blew a cap due to current draw at high clocks mainly.

Yes you are right, I mistook the black box next to the ATX connector as an inductor. Polyphase VRM's are required as processor current increases and this is only because component size has to increase. In fact, polyphase designs are less efficient as the number of phases increase, but the overall ripple current decreases. I'm not sure it was the current draw per-se that caused the explosion, as much as the fact that it had to do with what was supplying the current.

That explosion could be matter of luck of having a lemon cap with high ESR, it was the cap for LC filtering section, not for the VR output.

Having that poor high ESR cap in high OC stressed it out and basically it got toasted, especially on high load and line transient period.

Pre-cap mod shot of my board.

Mods: Vcore, Vdroop, VDimm, I use SMD grabbers for PLL. The board runs great with a dual core but I wouldn't drop a quad in there ;)

board.jpg

Maxi, just a suggestion, at those voltage modded cables, shorter is better, or if you have small button/grain's size ferrite bead, slip it in one of the two cables for each mod.

Those are high impedance locations where the mod cables are soldered on like for cpu vdroop mod, can easily picking up surrounding unwanted noise, especially if those cables are crossing or located are near those power mosfets or inductors.

These will supressed or at least reduced unnecessary spikes. ;)

Well I did a pencil vdroop mod last night and WOW!

Bios set to 1.45, windows shows 1.45 and load is 1.45.
bios set to 1.60, windows shows 1.60 and load is 1.60.

There isn't even a 0.001 difference loaded or unloaded between whats set in bios to whats shown within windows.

BTW my once unstable [email protected] q6600 primed all last night at 3.6@ only 1.45vcore :)

Well I did a pencil vdroop mod last night and WOW!

Bios set to 1.45, windows shows 1.45 and load is 1.45.
bios set to 1.60, windows shows 1.60 and load is 1.60.

There isn't even a 0.001 difference loaded or unloaded between whats set in bios to whats shown within windows.

BTW my once unstable [email protected] q6600 primed all last night at 3.6@ only 1.45vcore :)

I'll take your post as a confirmation of the following... :)

I hear that pencil vdroop mod works wonders.

Back