• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

eVGA 68-A1 board versus Asus P5K Premium for overclocking Q6600??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Soulmancer

Basicly I got a new computer, It came with a dead 68-A1 board. They are currently all sold out and the tech recommended the P5K-Premium board for overclocking puroposes with the Q6600... How does this compare with the eVGA 68-A1

If you are not running SLi definitely go with the P5K premium..... the P5K enjoys a great reputation for its OC'ing abilities and stability.

If you are or intend to run SLi the eVGA 680i (A1) is a good choice...but if they are out of stock you'll have to wait.

my 2cents.

P5K is based on the P35 which ocs much better for quads then the 680i. my only thought is to get the same board if you want sli. P5K will not support sli till nv removes the block on the driver level. another board to consider though are the Abit IP35's...

I just heard that the Premium board has a major issue with SATA2 hardrives and doesn't work with many of them. considering I have a 500 GB Western Digital SATA2 am I screwed? Or have they fixed this in newer bio settings?

Are there any boards better then this? I am running 4 gigs of of Kingston 1066mhz ram, Q6600 G0, Gforce 8800 Ultra ... I am looking for the most stability and overclocking potential. As I said my current 68-A1 was dead on arrival. The P5K-Preimus apparently has a huge issue with most SataII hardrives, my HD being specificly mentioned. If I can sort out the HD issue, will my Gforce 8800 fit on this board? I heard large video cards cover up the SATA ports!

And how is this board compared to the Premium?

Gigabyte P35 DS4

Last edited:
I own both boards and without a doubt I would choose the p5k. the 680i was nothing but problems reguarding ram. I had the newest revision of the evga 680i (a1) and my highest stable OC was ~3100. Now on my p5k I am at 3.6 currently stable (waiting for phase). Also the p5k has been 100% trouble free since build. This rarely happens that every single thing works exactly how it should and for me the p5k did.

Back