• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fuzion with 1/2 ID 3/4 OD tubing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

evilrad

It's coming up on a year since I last drained and refilled my system. Even though the tubing looks as clear as the day I installed it and the fluid still looks good, I like to replace the tubing and fluid every year just to be safe. Since I'll be taking the system apart, I decided to buy a Fuzion to replace my Apogee (the one before that started calling it the Apogee GT). I haven't purchased the new tubing yet because I remembered a member here complaining about 1/2 ID 3/4 OD tubing with clamps barely fitting on the Fuzion. I had some leftover tubing and decided to try it on the Fuzion before I bought new tubing. After sliding one tube on, I actually had trouble slipping the second one over the other barb! There is absolutely no room to get a hose clamp on :bang head So I guess I'll have to use 7/16 ID 5/8 OD tubing on it. I really don't want to use 7/16 for the whole loop because of the pain it would be to get the tubing on the plastic barbs on the Swiftech MicroRes. Would it hurt the flow if I mixed 7/16 with 1/2 tubing in the loop? I would have 7/16 coming out of the MCP655 to the inlet on the Fuzion, and then from the outlet on the Fuzion to the inlet on EK-FCX1900 GPU block. Everything else would be 1/2 tubing.

I used 3/4"OD with my fuzion. What you do is to put one hose on, tighten down the clamp on the barb, then put the other hose on and stagger the clamp and then tighten it down.

I used 3/4"OD with my fuzion. What you do is to put one hose on, tighten down the clamp on the barb, then put the other hose on and stagger the clamp and then tighten it down.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I totally forgot about the indenture on the barbs where the clamps will rest. Still, poor design on placing the barbs so close together. Just a few more centimeters apart would have made a huge difference. Oh well...

I put both hoses on, then wiggled both clamps into place at the same time. They need to be as tight as you can get them while being able to move them at the same time. After that, tighten and done. It took quite a bit of swearing to do it the first 2 times, but I've got it figured out now I believe.

alright, i'm about to throw this rig into the lake out back lol

so, for those of you who managed to use 3/4" OD tubing and hose clamps... which hose clamps did you use? I've got steel worm-drive & plastic clamps... neither is going on. The tubing is pretty tight right there between the two barbs.

alright, i'm about to throw this rig into the lake out back lol

so, for those of you who managed to use 3/4" OD tubing and hose clamps... which hose clamps did you use? I've got steel worm-drive & plastic clamps... neither is going on. The tubing is pretty tight right there between the two barbs.

Yeah, getting on the 1/2"ID 3/4"OD tubing on the Fuzion was "fun". Here is what I ended up doing to get both tubes with metal worm driven clamps on:

1. Put one tube on and totally tighten the clamp on it.
2. Put the other clamp over the remaining barb without any tubing on it.
3. Slide the tubing over the remaining barb.
4. Tighten the clamp so that it barely begins to go on the tube.
5. Begin moving the clamp up while push on the tubing to force the tube all the way down the barb.
6. Tighten the clamp as much as possible, but not so much that you can't move it.
7. Move the clamp to the correct position and tighten down.

I found it much easier this way then trying to put the clamp on from the top. Getting passed the other tubing and clamp from the top is very difficult and more annoying.

Edit* I use the 430 SS Smooth-Band Worm Drive Hose Clamp 1/2" to 3/4" Clamp Dia Range, 3/8" Band Width #5076K13 from McMaster

Last edited:
Yeah, getting on the 1/2"ID 3/4"OD tubing on the Fuzion was "fun". Here is what I ended up doing to get both tubes with metal worm driven clamps on:

1. Put one tube on and totally tighten the clamp on it.
2. Put the other clamp over the remaining barb without any tubing on it.
3. Slide the tubing over the remaining barb.
4. Tighten the clamp so that it barely begins to go on the tube.
5. Begin moving the clamp up while push on the tubing to force the tube all the way down the barb.
6. Tighten the clamp as much as possible, but not so much that you can't move it.

I found it much easier this way then trying to put the clamp on from the top. Getting passed the other tubing and clamp from the top is very difficult and more annoying.

Edit* I use the 430 SS Smooth-Band Worm Drive Hose Clamp 1/2" to 3/4" Clamp Dia Range, 3/8" Band Width #5076K13 from McMaster

You've got the procedure down to a T.

Those clamps are the best metal clamps hands down and are worth every cent.

what exactly is the correct position in step 7 there? does that have to do with rotation... ie position of the nut so you can tighten it? Or is it position over the barb? either way, what is the correct position over the barb?

Thanks for the clamp recommendation... I'm ordering some now. I was using the type 301, wide band.

what exactly is the correct position in step 7 there? does that have to do with rotation... ie position of the nut so you can tighten it? Or is it position over the barb? either way, what is the correct position over the barb?

Thanks for the clamp recommendation... I'm ordering some now. I was using the type 301, wide band.

Position the clamp over the indention on the barb (which is where you are supposed to tighten down the clamp), but you will also need to position the clamp in a way so that you can get a screwdriver on it to tighten it.

Someone on the forums linked to the ThermalTake Big Water installation video for a good laugh a little while back on one of the threads. Maybe I need to make a video on installing the Fuzion with 3/4"OD tubing since its a total pain to do :temper:

Back