• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Registered vs. Unregistered RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madmike

Registered
I just bought 3 256mb sticks of Crucial registered DDR RAM from a guy online. He said they were purchased for his machine but his motherboard won't accept registered DDR RAM only unregistered.

What is the difference between registered and unregistered RAM and are there motherboard compatability issues. I was going to purchase an ASUS A7V266-E motherboard to put this RAM into.

Thanks,

madmike

madmike said:
I just bought 3 256mb sticks of Crucial registered DDR RAM from a guy online. He said they were purchased for his machine but his motherboard won't accept registered DDR RAM only unregistered.

What is the difference between registered and unregistered RAM and are there motherboard compatability issues. I was going to purchase an ASUS A7V266-E motherboard to put this RAM into.

Thanks,

madmike

registered is slower but safer. Overclockers generally don't get registered.

anyone know how bad is the overclocking ability of registered ram? I am thinking of getting a Soyo 6BA+100 and the manual seems to imply that that it needs registered ram to run 1gb of ram. my CPU craps out at 138fsb so I just need a mild overclock with all dimm slots filled.

Last edited:
Registered ram is usually needed on boards that have over 512 or over 2 slots of ram.

I dont remember why, but i read somewhere why registered memory is needed at high mb amounts...

QSW said:
anyone know how bad is the overclocking ability of registered ram? I am thinking of getting a Soyo 6BA+100 and the manual seems to imply that that it needs registered ram to run 1gb of ram. my CPU craps out at 138fsb so I just need a mild overclock with all dimm slots filled.

ECC RAM= bad overclocking!!!

Back