• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what is the highest flow dc pump you seen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
He may not have seen data on the MCP355 with Petra's top. I havent, which performs better? 655 or 355 with top?

I've seen the test results of this comparison, and the 655 still wins...albeit barely, lol, and it one test the 355 even won!

The 655 is still the overall winner, but not by enough to get get too excited about.

I've seen the test results of this comparison, and the 655 still wins...albeit barely, lol, and it one test the 355 even won!

The 655 is still the overall winner, but not by enough to get get too excited about.

the 655 is a great pump, but the head pressure of the 355 beats it out big time.

the 655 is a great pump, but the head pressure of the 355 beats it out big time.
So, then the correct question should be, which has the best flow under x amount of pressure?

Would we assume a loop with 2 blocks and a triple radiator? :shrug:

That I could not answer.

this is the biggest flow rate i've seen, 950 with 5/8 native barbs!

EDIT: oops... that pump is ac not dc.

Last edited:
2 blocks and a tripple rad is the norm these days, would be nice to see what pump performs better under these conditions.

I'm sure the data is out there, probably just need to Google, but I'm too lazy :p

DC not AC. If you want some powerful AC pumps just go to your local gardening store and see the pumps they sell there.

After a certain point the flowrate (gph/lph) hardly has an affect on temperatures, so what's the hype all about?

I've actually been thinking about using fuel pump from a fuel-injected car. You can get a Walbro 'submersable' for under $100, and at 60psi it will move a REAL 255 lph (~63 gph), ~283 at 35psi. To give you an idea, it will be using almost 100 watts at 12v. I'm just not sure if it will suffer from lower pressure, such as it's shaft speed being too high, etc. Someone tried an electric fuel pump before, but it was a non-fuel injection pump, and didn't pump steadily. The only problem is that the fluid moves directly around the armature, so that 80-90 watts goes right into your water. But think of the jet-impingement WB's you could be running with up to 80psi worth of pressure... :beer:

I've actually been thinking about using fuel pump from a fuel-injected car. You can get a Walbro 'submersable' for under $100, and at 60psi it will move a REAL 255 lph (~63 gph), ~283 at 35psi. To give you an idea, it will be using almost 100 watts at 12v. I'm just not sure if it will suffer from lower pressure, such as it's shaft speed being too high, etc. Someone tried an electric fuel pump before, but it was a non-fuel injection pump, and didn't pump steadily. The only problem is that the fluid moves directly around the armature, so that 80-90 watts goes right into your water. But think of the jet-impingement WB's you could be running with up to 80psi worth of pressure... :beer:
Good luck with the leaks on that :rolleyes:

Make sure you have EVERYTHING tightened down as hard as possible. Even then I'm sure you'll break the radiator or crack the block, that is too much pressure.

Good luck with the leaks on that :rolleyes:

Make sure you have EVERYTHING tightened down as hard as possible. Even then I'm sure you'll break the radiator or crack the block, that is too much pressure.

The way it builds that kind of pressure is with a FPR (fuel pressure regulator). It's basicly a diaphragm that restricts flow below a certain psi, and opens up above that. With no major restrictor, it will flow much more at low pressure. But thats where I my statement about longevity comes in - nobody really runs them w/o restrictions...

Just to give you an idea, this pump has been tested to flow 255 liters/hr at 60psi, while the MCP655 will flow about 255 liters/hr at 4.5psi and ZERO liters/hr at 5.5psi...

Back