• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Distilled Water

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

4od

The humidity in my area just dropped down a huge amount, so my bong is going through water way faster than I like, close to a gallon every 12 hours (as opposed to about half that before). I need to use distilled water to prevent mineral build-up, but its getting pretty expensive and annoying to have to go out and buy water if i want to use my computer. Does anybody know a cheap way to get large quantities of distilled water? I was thinking of some sort of solar still but i just can't see it being particularly practical.

Geeez. Distilled water costs only .99 cents a gal here. Only way I know getting large quantities is maybe a warehouse like sam's club or a supermarket. Maybe wally world.

Bongs are nice, but in your case it isn't practical. If you're going to continue using H20 for your setup, you might be thinking going the closed loop method over the bong.

It is a 1.50 a gallon here, but it adds up pretty fast.

I do like the bong though - I idle/load 8/12 at 3.6ghz and 1.4v

It is a 1.50 a gallon here, but it adds up pretty fast.

I do like the bong though - I idle/load 8/12 at 3.6ghz and 1.4v

Do you have condensation issues with that?

Another option, though it may reduce performance, add a humidifier to the room and use tap water in it.
Dan

Parts...$25???
http://www.thefarm.org/charities/i4at/surv/sstill.htm

$119.99
http://www.amazon.com/Water-Distiller-Countertop-White-Enamel/dp/B00026F9F8

Product Features

* One-year Warrantee 1 Gallon 5/6 hours
* 4 gallons per day output. Auto Shut-off
* Pure steam distilled water. Great for drinking.
* Also great for cooking and use with certain (Hmmm.... computer?) appliances

That 2nd link looks to be a great idea. For a small investment you get to make your own distilled water and never run out :)

Nice find! :thup:

Why not just buy a dehumidifier?

You could complete the power wasting cycle by burning 700 watts of electrical power to re-condense about half of that distilled water back into the collector of the dehumidifer, then pour it into your bong again!

Do you have well water? Mineral buildup might be a problem, but if you have city water you'll be hard pressed to really get mineral buildup unless you run for MONTHS

Or maybe just an off the shelf drinking water purifier, not distilled but gets most of minerals out.
Dan

Do you have well water? Mineral buildup might be a problem, but if you have city water you'll be hard pressed to really get mineral buildup unless you run for MONTHS

On my old bong, after a few months i had almost an INCH of pinkish buildup at the bottom of the bucket. With distilled water there is still a little bit, but it isnt even close to as bad.

I think I'll be looking into how well a regular old drinking water filter will do...

Thanks for all the help

The humidity in my area just dropped down a huge amount, so my bong is going through water way faster than I like, close to a gallon every 12 hours (as opposed to about half that before). I need to use distilled water to prevent mineral build-up, but its getting pretty expensive and annoying to have to go out and buy water if i want to use my computer. Does anybody know a cheap way to get large quantities of distilled water? I was thinking of some sort of solar still but i just can't see it being particularly practical.

noob question whats a bong?

180px-Bongcooler.png

basically you get a pvc pipe and glue on a 45 degree T fitting and a end plug. then you drill a hole in the bottem for a fitting and grab a shower head or some type of shower spray attachment and put a fitting on that. in the 45 degree and you put a fan to blow air in and up the tube. then you hook up your pump and water blocks and you have nice cool water from evaporation.

as the water falls and air is blowing past it the water (not all) starts to evaporate and there for cools it down.

It's a type of evaporative cooler that is shaped roughly like a bong (as in the thing you use to vaporize drugs).

An evaporative cooler can mean a lot of things, but in this case it means that instead of getting rid of the heat of your components by radiating the heat from the water through a radiator, you are losing it to the phase-change vaporization) of water.. For every gram of water that evaporates, 540 calories are taken away (as heat of vaporization) Lots of water evaporates, so it adds up fast and sub-ambient coolant temperatures are common.

Bongs are good because of their low price, high-load, and better cooling than a radiator, but they are bad because they are large, noisy, high-maintenance and you cannot (as of yet) buy them pre-built.

if you ever see high rise buildings or industrial places in winter and you see steam coming from the roof thats a chiller. it evaporates water to cool what ever they want. there is steam because the water is hot at the top and cools as it migrates to the bottom. they use a 3d honey comb sheet so there is alot of surface area for the water to evap before it goes back to what ever is being cooled.

here is what some can look like.
evaporative_condenser.jpg

the one on the left has 3 fans that blow air up to evaporate the water which cools it down.

Last edited:
Back