• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P5E - Opinions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MikeyD360

Asus P5E - Opinions - Got one. (pics)

Hey all... looking for an X38 MoBo to let me go a bit further with my 2x2900XTs (16/16) and the ASUS P5E is where I'm looking at the moment?

Anyone had any experience with this board, or recommend others?

Last edited:
no matter... i just went and bought the P5E...

I'll install over the week and see if MS will come to the party with my OEM Vista...

Then i'll post up some X38 16/16 crossfire scores.

how is the board???

caus im thinking of getting it.. well dont know what to get.. i made a thread about it ,, but since u have this board i thought i would ask u

I'm pretty happy with it...

Coming from the P5K Deluxe, you do lose a couple of features, and have a few less connectors, but what is on the board is better set out (side facing SATA and IDE connectors for starters).
The heatsink and pipes are massive - so if you are wanting a large aftermarket cooler, you might want to measure it up first, because even the stock Q6600 HSF only has a couple of mm clearance on top and bottom.

In terms of performance, with same setup, i gained 359 on 3dm06 just from 16/16PCIE for starters, on a single card, i couldnt say how much would be gained.

Overclocking seems to have pretty comprehensive options, nothing missing from the deluxe P35 board there, and the capabilities are good also - the Xtreme Systems team i beleieve recently got just over 29K 3DM06 off of the P5E3 which is the same board but with DDR3 support. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=163074 of course that was LN2 for the CPU and video cards. (2900XT - should I order some LN2?)

My verdict (if it means anything) if you want extra features, go for a deluxe board ($350AUD+) but if you want an X38 board that offers quality of manufacturing, comprehensive setup options, DDR2 support and exeptional performance at a reasonable price ($280AUD) then go for the P5E.

I have some pics I will post.

Getting ready to work - everything apart and old board sitting to be scrapped (when I say old - I mean its about what... 6 weeks?)
89gw46g.jpg

The P5E and P5K-Deluxe side by side... I thought the P5K had a pretty huge heatsink, but the P5E puts it to shame... although the way the airflow moves, I cant help but think it would be better if the fins were horizontal rather than vertical?
80uhu0j.jpg

Droool...
6pz2vyb.jpg

Doesnt leave much room in there hey?
7xx4gb6.jpg

And i took these pics on the same day, so i couldn't help but post one when theyre in the same folder :p
8egjqci.jpg

thnx for the help.. and ur opinion means alot.. but im still so confused.. i dont get whats better about having a x38 or what ever ...

but heres what i plan on doing with my computer...

please have a look and respond here, or thier.. thnx so much..

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=537065

and what are u planning on doing with the old board are u selling it or what..

If you wont be running dual cards, then a P35 board will be a cost effective and well performing board.

The P5K will apparently support 45nm CPU, such as QX9650, and the deluxe will set you back as much as the P5E vanilla, but come with a load more features... the main reason I went for the X38 was for crossfire.. i needed 2 full speed PCIe slots.. the P5K-Deluxe comes with 1 full speed PCIe so will be fine as you say you only want to run 1 card.

I havent had much experience with any of the other recommended boards in that thread so I cant say too much more, but I would recommend.. when it comes to buying components - ask people what they like, get down some model numbers and then google for reviews... most good tech sites will thrash a piece of hardware more than you or I ever will, and as they deal with lots of hardware, can more accurately compare them.

I love my P5E. Paired with 2x2GB GSkill PC8000 it kicks a lot of arse. Stable and FAST.

Just need my E8500 now. The good ol' E6600 will be retired.

Hey Mikey, whats your max cpu temp and mb temp @ 3.2ghz? I almost have the exact same setup as you.

The MoBo temp will sit pretty steady around 31-33* (being that its summer here at the moment, and the outside temps are around 38-40* half the time) room ambient would be in the high 20's.

The CPU temps get pretty close to 65* on stock cooling, which is why I refuse to raise the voltage at all to get further than 3.2

Also, I only run this setup for benching, for everyday use I run the CPU at 2.67Ghz and the XTs at stock speed (thats more than enough for most tasks)

Back